Return to the Southern Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Weeping Youpon problem

Posted by brass_tacks 8b/GA (My Page) on
Sat, Mar 27, 10 at 9:15

I am hoping someone might give some suggestions as to what is going on with my mature/large Weeping Youpon. This is the first spring that it is showing some kind of damage. The damage is not located all over the tree, but appears in sections. My guess is that the damage will cover the tree if left untreated.

The damage is to clusters of berries, clusters that form a kind of balled area of dark -- grey/black. It reminds me of honey-dew, but I'm thinking it isn't honey-dew because the darkened areas are confined to clusters of berries. It reminds me of a fungus because if I look close enough, there will be some white between a berry or more in the cluster.

This tree is the private residence of a beautiful singing Mocking Bird and his mate.

Just after noticing the damage (yesterday) I decided to prune all the damaged fruit and the Mrs. Mockingbird shouted me out of there.

Please help.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Weeping Youpon problem

If you haven't tossed out all you pruned you might want to take one , run it under a shower of water (to make sure it isn't bird poop) and then cut open the gray area and look for insect eggs.

I have 4 mature weeping yaupons and just went to check for what you described.
Truly,fully berried in late fall, all I could spot were 4 individual berries left now in spring. The birds,especially robins, usually have eaten all berries over the winter. Fortunately nothing in the way of damage.
If you have a healthy yard and lots of native spiders, they tend to keep insects in control (except for bagworms).

You might want to google using the correct spelling..yaupon.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Southern Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here