Return to the Southern Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
companion bedding plant for begonias

Posted by luvpatch Texas (My Page) on
Wed, Mar 22, 06 at 10:41

Good morning! I'm new to this forum and I'm excited to be here! I have a large circular flower bed around a large tree that gets mostly filtered shade with some sun for most of the day. I have Caladium bulbs and basic begonias planted. I need another one or two bedding plants that will go along with the begonias.I know begonias have lower water needs so I need plants that will tolerate Houston heat and humidity and not need to be watered frequently so I won't kill the begonias. Last summer I had planted impatiens and the begonias died probably from overwatering. Thanks for any help and everyone have a great day!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: companion bedding plant for begonias

Have you considered carex, tiarrela, huechera and/or hostas, or are you thinking only annuals?

o

Hi! Thanks for your input! I really was thinking annuals. I haven't heard of carex or tiarrela. I'll have to look them up! There might be too much sun for Hostas. The area gets about two hours of sun at the end of the day around 4-6 Pm. Houston heat with sun is horrible. That's why my impatiens did so poorly last summer. July and August heat and sun did them in.

o

I'm assuming your 'basic begonias' are the ones grown so often (as you plan to) as annuals, but they aren't really. Used to grow them as windowsill plants in a much cooler climate, and they were basically permanent. Here in so. Louisiana, much the same as Houston, they really are very hard to keep--the humidty, the heat, and as you say too much water gets 'em. I would suggest some cane begonias (often called Angel Wings) which thrive in those conditions and would probably be hardy (or you could dig them up and throw them away, if that's what appeals to you.) Last winter I think I had canes in bloom as well as making pretty foliage, tho' when the winters get a little cold they tend to stop blooming and can even freeze back to the ground, but come back up promptly. Do you really prefer to re-plant every year? There are caladiums that would do well there, including new ones that take sun. Even some ferns prefer some sun and I think look good with begonias. Of course they're not annuals either, nor are the little gingers that would look nice, like kaempferias. Lots more, especially if you don't need to re-do it every year.

o

Have you considered Sedum varieties? They don't mind hot dry weather and there are so many to choose from. I've got white begonias with a tall sedum growing in the back--they look great together and emerge at the same time in the spring (those are red Salvia between the begonias). I'm not sure what variety of Sedum I have, but it does flower at the end of the summer/early fall with dusty pink clusters---not real impressive, but nice enough.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Southern Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here