Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
stefanie33

Will azaleas take the sun?

Stefanie33
19 years ago

I have a sunny spot that I would love to put some azaleas that would only grow about 3 - 4 feet. It is afternoon sun . Could they take the heat. I am in northwest Alabama. I have one in this same place that I plan to move to a new location that has done pretty good. Are there any varieties that would do well there?

Comments (16)

• Iris GW
    19 years ago

I would say yes, if it were morning sun. Azaleas don't really like afternoon sun actually.

But you can always try and move them again if they don't do well. I would certainly give them enough water this year since they are being moved.

As for being southern plants, I guess so - southern ASIA, that is.

• doggiedaddy
    19 years ago

go to azalea.org

• Stefanie33
    Original Author
    19 years ago

Thanks for the advice. I think I will try the spot I have picked out.

• rivers1202
    19 years ago

Have 4 huge old azaleas growing in full sun...western exposure, and they get the full effect of our blistering Summer sun here in zone 8, south carolina. To top it off, they're growing next to a brick wall that makes the position even hotter during the Summer. No problems. Go for it.

• Stefanie33
    Original Author
    19 years ago

Thanks Rivers. That is what I needed is for someone to tell me they are doing it successfully. Is there a certain variety that will do better in the sun?

• Dieter2NC
    19 years ago

I have two varieties of encore azaleas growing in afternoon sun, with irrigation. My neighbors have their azaleas growing in full sun. The biggest problem I have in this exposure is they are more prone to attack by lacebugs than those I have in a shadier location. And the floweres do not last as long, as they get burned up by the hot sun.

• Stefanie33
    Original Author
    19 years ago

Thanks Dieter2NC. I have been thinking about using encore. Are yours pretty shrubs when they are not blooming?

• rivers1202
    19 years ago

Stefanie~ my azaleas are Formosas ( Azalea indica 'Formosa' )...they can get enormous, so I guess they wouldn't be appropriate for you size requirements. Even very young Formosas can reach your maximum height (3-4 ft) in just a few short years. I have some planted around a pine tree (again, full sun, western exposure) that were planted 2 yrs. ago. They are already over 3 ft. tall. They do take pruning exceedingly well but it'd be a yearly thing in your case to keep them the size that you'd like. And it'd have to be done just after flowering...if you wait to prune them any later, you won't have flowers the following year.
    Yes, as Dieter pointed out, Azaleas grown in full-sun are prone to lacebug damage, but so are the Gumpo Azaleas I have growing in the shade on the north side of the house. The lacebugs feast on the Gumpos growing in shade as often as they do the Formosas growing in full-sun.

The flowers on my Formosas don't get burned up by the sun, either, despite their western exposure. They seem to take the heat quite well.
    I don't have any experience with the Encore Azaleas, so I can't comment on how they'd do in full-sun.

• rivers1202
    19 years ago

PS~ here is a link to the Formosa, just in case you'd like to check them out. They are beautiful. The Formosas that I have growing along the brick wall I mentioned in my first post are at least 6-7 ft tall and hubby has to take a hedge trimmer to them every year, but they're worth it. If you buy them small, it shouldn't be that much trouble to keep them trimmed to a more managable size.

Here is a link that might be useful: Azalea indica 'Formosa'

• bruggirl
    19 years ago

When I lived in SC, I had them in full sun in z 7. They did fine, but the ones under the pines in filtered sun did better, it seemed.

When I moved to Florida, I killed 10 azaleas before someone told me they had to be in shade down here. Can't take the hot subtropical sun in the afternoons.

• Dieter2NC
    19 years ago

Of the encores, I think the Autumn Princess has the best looking foliage, as it is similar to the Formosa, it has larger leaves and tends to grow more horizontal. It will depend on what you're looing for in leaf form as to what you consider "looking good when not in bloom". Some encores lose nearly all their leaves in winter, while others do not. The leaves look much better on mine which are in a shady spot, than those which recieve afternoon sun, but those in more sun tend to get more blooms.

• Carol love_the_yard (Zone 9A Jacksonville, FL)
    18 years ago

Here in Jacksonville, Florida, they do better in shifting shade or afternoon shade. Some varieties - Duc de Rohn, for example, burn up in full sun.

• User
    18 years ago

A china rose like Martha Gonzales will have decorative foliage for about 10 months out of the year and bloom about 8 months out of the year and be disease free. I like azalias, but under trees where other shrubs have difficulty growing. They are happier in shade anyway. For any full sun spot, I prefer easy care roses as they provide constant bloom from April through November.

• pinkclogs
    18 years ago

We just purchased some knockout roses that are very low maintenance, disease and pest resistant, look like a hedge in the pot (more like a shrub than other roses in our small garden), and my husband thinks they look just like azaleas. I agree--they are similar in appearance. They grow to 4 foot tall, but gardener guy on television said they should be pruned to stay at 3 feet. They take full sun and (good news!) bloom 11 months of the year.

Just another idea.

• Juanita Roux
    8 years ago

there is a massive difference between Northern Hemisphere and Southern Hemisphere sun. I live is South Africa and with our current heat waves at 40 degrees there is no way Azaleas thrive in full sun all day every day. Especially afternoon sun. It is a blistering stinger of note.

Sponsored