Return to the Southern Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
How long does it take dish soap to kill Chinese Raintree bugs?

Posted by peabody1 (My Page) on
Tue, Mar 19, 13 at 11:11

How long does it take dish soap to kill Chinese Raintree bugs? I sprayed them and they appeared to be dead. But as the day progressed the sun dried them off and they all took off. And it has been about a month and we still have a ton of these bugs. Does dish soap really work on these bugs or do people just think it does because they appear to be dead when you first squirt them?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: How long does it take dish soap to kill Chinese Raintree bugs

The best idea is to identify the bug by scientific name and then look up how to deal with them. There might be a better method if you know just what they are.

o

Dish soap and insecticidal soap are not interchangeable, although some dish soap may kill some insects without harming some plants. Did your sprayed bugs take off, or fall off?

o

Rain tree Bug IS the universally recognized common name for this particular insect....much like the Boxelder Bug to whom they are closely related.

Peabody, these insects aren't usually "controlled " on the trees because they don't feed on anything but the ripened seeds. (Also like the boxelder bugs.) They do tend to congregate on the outside of our homes, however....and try to get inside.

Where are these critters hanging out?

P.S. purple is right on target about dish soap versus real insecticidal soap.

This post was edited by rhizo_1 on Thu, Mar 21, 13 at 12:08

o

I wish "my" oak tree would get an acorn-eating bug. Thanks, Rhizo!!

o

Good wish there, Purple! There are a lot of golden rain trees around me, I'm always pulling up seedlings, but nothing seems to bother them. Could you send me some bugs, Peabody?

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Southern Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here