Return to the Southern Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Need fresh bay leaves

Posted by KatyaKatya 6 (My Page) on
Tue, Mar 26, 13 at 11:20

Dear fellow gardeners, I am going to post this in several forums, so excuse me if you see it many times. I am looking for somebody who has a bay laurel tree (Laurus nobilis, of the plant family Lauraceae, also known as sweet bay), big and strong enough to spare a few branches for me. I am in search of fresh leaves, not dry ones, and I need more of them than I could afford if I buy fresh ones ( where fresh ones are available, it is going to be a few sprigs in a small plastic case at a prohibitive price). Also, my use for them is not a food use, so I don’t care if the tree is growing next to a highway etc. I am ready to pay reasonably for them (or could swap? What are you looking for?). I am willing to drive a couple of hours to get them. I know that in a mild climate, bay trees grow very well, so they should exist not far to the South from me. I am in Johnson City TN and bay trees do not perform well here. I need the leaves around the last week of April, so there is still time. Thank you very much for your patience, I know it all sounds weird but gardeners are used to everything. I will be checking for replies. Katya.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Need fresh bay leaves

I must say that I've never seen anyone grow Laurus nobilis, even when I lived in the sub-tropical South.

o
RE: Need fresh bay leaves

I haven't been on this forum in a LONG time, so you probably found what you need. I had a huge, 12 foot bay tree when I lived outside of Charleston. I bought it on the one-dollar-I -give -up table at Lowe's. It thrived.I miss it so bad I bought a new one for my new Greensboro, NC, garden. So they do fine in the South.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Southern Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here