Return to the Southern Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
What killed my Wine and Roses Wiegeilias?

Posted by katec67 Arkansas (My Page) on
Fri, Mar 23, 07 at 11:50

Does anyone have any experience with Wiegeilias? I bought 2 about 4 or 5 years ago and planted them on each side of my front steps.One grew beautifully and reached it's mature height (about 4 feet) the other one stayed 2 feet tall and never filled out like the first one even though I fertilized and watered them the same. The larger one began to have dead branches on it, and I trimmed those off. This kept happening for the last few years. It finally died and I removed it. I still have the small one.I bought both from Lowes, and I even called the grower listed on the tag and he didn't have an explanation.I'm starting to wonder if maybe this plant may be susceptible to the same Anthracnose disease that I have been battling in my dogwood trees for the last 6 years.I hope someone might be able to help me, I want to plant some more of them, they are really pretty.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: What killed my Wine and Roses Wiegeilias?

I bought 3 wiegeilias and only one has survived. I just assumed they didn't make it through the winter. One keeps coming back, but the others don't.

o
Wiegeilias that don't survive.

Buford, Thank you for your reply. I am really starting to wonder if these Wiegeilias are susceptible to some kind of disease out there. I doubt that your plants died from winter kill because mine survived for about 6 years, with our weather dipping down to 14 or 15 degrees fahrenheit.(We only have just a few nights each winter when it gets this cold.) I am going to take a chance and plant some more of them with the hope that this isn't some sort of fungal disease that's lurking in my soil. I am going to keep my receipt and if they die within one year of purchase, Lowes will refund my money. If the new ones die, I will just have to switch to something else. I just really love these because even when they don't have any blooms on them, the foliage is so pretty. I always have friends and family admiring them. I think they really give my flower beds interest since I don't have any shrubs.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Southern Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here