Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
georgiapoollover

Need help with landscaping in georgia

georgiapoollover
17 years ago

We put in a pool lastyear and need help with landscaping. I am looking for tropical plants and other bushes and plants that can handle sun and shade to plant in our backyard. We have huge pine beds to fill up....

Any ideas would be appreciated..

Comments (8)

• vancleaveterry
    17 years ago

Big leaf magnolias (magnolia macrophylla) are decideous trees but their leaves are so large (during the growing season) that they look very tropical. Add some clumping bamboo and some needle palms, Trithrinax campestris, and your back yard will look tropical. Needle palms eventually grow into beautiful clumps about eight feet tall. There is a blue variety in addition to the green one. Plant several of each. They can handle the cold. Make sure you only plant "clumping" bamboo as the other kinds will spread all over.

Plant magnolia grandiflora in the far far back of your yard to block views and to provide a green backdrop. Dont plant them anywhere near your pool or walkways. Allow the limbs and leaves to grow all the way to the ground.

A combination that always looks great is white dogwoods contrasted with eastern redbuds. They are both small trees and look great mixed back and forth under pine trees or between any big trees. In the spring they make for a great display. Consider "Forest Pansy" eastern redbuds for their purplish leaves.

A "Gold Rush" dawn redwood or two could provide some interesting contrast. They lose their leaves in the winter but the rest of the year are stunning. They are medium sized trees. The regular dawn redwood is nice too, but gets large.

Use the search engine of this forum and you'll find pics of most of these plants.

• vancleaveterry
    17 years ago

If you have a very big back yard, nothing fills space like the oak family. Willow oaks and white oaks do well in Georgia from what I remember. Live oaks do great along the coast and south GA. Don't plant anywhere near the pool.

I wonder if the Shumard oak does well there? Good fall red color.

• Iris GW
    17 years ago

I use bigleaf magnolias (magnolia macrophylla and magnolia tripetala) behind my pool fence (there is no planting area inside the fence) for a tropical look. Also southern shield fern (thelypteris kunthii). The native needle palm that is hardy is Rhapidophyllum hystrix and I've seen it for sale at Home Depot.

Elephant ears and lots of colorful annuals, even the large leaf hostas would do.

• vancleaveterry
    17 years ago

esh.... love those big leaf's!

• pagan
    17 years ago

roses and more roses!!

• Twinkle
    17 years ago

Cannas can take sun and shade. If they get no sun at all, they will grow but won't flower. Some have fantastic striped leaves. They are tropical-looking but do not need winter protection in Georgia if you live in Atlanta or south of that.

• sheri_has_worms
    17 years ago

If you want a magnolia, try the Southern Magnolia (Magnolia grandiflora). It's evergreen and hold it's leaves fairly well. Lantana adds lovely color too.

• newhope
    14 years ago

I have palm trees growing in north Georgia. There are many types of palms that will live here through the winter without protection. I have pindos, windmills, needle and fan palms. I also sell these. If interested, e-mail for directions.

Sponsored
Davidson Builders
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars1 Review
Franklin County's Full-Scale General Contractor