Return to the Southern Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Raspberries that take the heat?

Posted by maewest 7/8 (My Page) on
Sat, Mar 14, 09 at 12:05

Can y'all tell me which varieties of raspberry will do well in mid-NC? My extension agent says "don't even try" but I know it can be done. I can trade blueberries for them if you have any spare plants. Thank you.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Raspberries that take the heat?

Maybe southern bababerries? They're rated at zones 7-9 and apparently like heat and mild winters.

o

I live in coastal SC and have some Dorman Red raspberries that seem to be doing well. Planted them 2 yrs ago and last year got a few cups of berries. Flavor is decent, not great. Canes seems to be spreading and my floricanes are just starting to put out new leaves. They are also sending out runners and spreading. I expect more berries this year

I have also heard that Southland and "Jewel black" will tolerate the heat

o

I have grown Heritage in morning sun/afternoon sun. They need good drainage in winter and ample moisture in summer.

o

Here in Texas Blackberries do great in fact we can find someone setting along side the road selling them during their season. The wild ones they call dewberries, to me they taste the same. We find then along side many country roads down near the coast. I know they don't taste the same as Raspberries but they have no problems producing. I this area they sell plain cuttings for around 25 cents. One variety we have is Brazos and they produce a nice Large berry with a great sweet taste.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Southern Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here