Return to the Southern Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
A couple questions about really happy Cannas

Posted by purpleinopp 8b AL (My Page) on
Fri, Mar 22, 13 at 13:05

Can they go under a piece of concrete curb?
Will mowing keep them separate from lawn?
Can they go under the house (up on blocks but siding to the ground?)

Starting to question my placement...

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: A couple questions about really happy Cannas

Those are terribly invasive. I have some orange ones that I've never been able to get rid of, though I diligently dig them up all the time. They will grow into your lawn, but mowing will only keep them at or right below the surface. I don't know about the concrete, it depends upon how wide it is. Under the house? Maybe, but they can't grow there, obviously, but won't go from there to the other side under the house, I'm sure.

They may also come up from seed, and the seed scatter. Be warned.

o

The concrete is a piece of curb that used to be part of the street, so about 7" wide (around the corner, not visible in the pic.) If they get out of that, they'll just get mowed, so probably OK. I don't think these should be next to that Gardenia shrub (behind Cannas in pic.) Think I'll move those soon. I can't stand the look of any dead flowers, so cut them off daily, seeds won't be an issue. Thanks!

o

Good luck getting them out of there. I have 2 kinds in my yard, the old fashioned orange blooming ones, and one that I planted that I found in a vacant lot, that is probably a species, it has very small red blooms. I haven't yet succeeded in getting them all out of the beds, but there aren't as many as there used to be.

o

That orange one sounds pretty! Is it one with spots inside the flowers? You're right about their toughness. Just put those there in June and when I dug out a piece for trade a couple weeks ago, it put up a fight. Duh, now I understand why these are usually by themselves, away from the house somewhere. Of course it's going to creep into the Gardenia, and there's a gas line a couple feet behind them that nobody should dig around. That's why I leave that yellow flag there, to remind me to dig with hand shovel only near that. Thanks for the encouragement, this is definitely a mistake I need to fix this spring. Daggone it, they were hiding some of those ugly wires, and looked great from inside that window...

o

I've been getting rid of cannas for years!
leaving just a small piece will be enough for
a dozen to sprout from.

btw...cannas are happy anywere you plant them.

best of luck.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Southern Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here