Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
eddie_ga_7a

Redneck Gardener

eddie_ga_7a
20 years ago

You Know You're A Redneck Gardener When......

You edge your flower bed with beer bottles.

Next?

Comments (66)

• girlgroupgirl
    20 years ago

Or when your yard decoration is a pink wooden pig that says "OINK IF YOU LIKE BBQ"!

GGG

• Robin_northtexas
    20 years ago

You know you are a redneck gardener if... you have whirley gigs in your yard(I do) and an airplane made out of beer cans and you show it off when company comes. Robin

• eddie_ga_7a
    Original Author
    20 years ago

You might be a redneck gardener if.....
    You're still finding Easter eggs from last year.

• reesebug
    19 years ago

The goats are eating this year's crop.

• merriss
    19 years ago

your hubby thinks the best "mulch" in the world is the "stuff" he just cleaned out the barn...fresh!!!!
    True Story!!!! Cheap, also!

• savannarose
    19 years ago

Your neighbors use their wrecked demolition-derby car as an improvised greenhouse, (true story.)

• CaseysMom
    19 years ago

You drive by the neighbors house just to check out how tall their okra is...

You know that teepees mean greenbeans, not Indians.

• Twinkle
    19 years ago

You wear pantyhose to keep the chiggers off.

• savannarose
    19 years ago

You use roadkill for fertiliser.

• vicki7
    19 years ago

I don't know if it is redneck or not, but the first thing I thought of was... people who prune azalea bushes into perfect, round balls.

• aisgecko
    19 years ago

No, the round azaleas aren't redneck... just plain wrong! Let the poor things be.
    you know you're a redneck gardener when you design your flower beds around the old cars in the front yard.
    -ais.

• MellieH
    19 years ago

A huge tree uproots during a storm and instead of cutting it into logs and getting rid of it you plant flowers in its roots. I actually have a neighbor who has done this. I nearly ran my car off the road when I saw the flowers growing out of the giant root ball.

Mellie

• thecaretaker
    19 years ago

You put white plastic garden edging like a little fence 'round the edge of your truck's flat bed, then pull it up next to your trailer: voila! Party deck!

I also nearly ran off the road when I saw this. :)

You're also a redneck gardener if you're regularly tossing aside car parts, home repair detritus, and cans as you cultivate. After examining each item for possible utility, of course!

• ladybug24
    19 years ago

You might be a redneck gardener if...you have "hundreds" of artificial flowers in your flower beds instead of live ones.

And when the flower beds are full...they start sticking them in the links of their chain link fence!!!!

• nanahanna
    19 years ago

You might be a redneck when you find a new(er) bedroom suit and put granny's old iron bedstead out front and plant flowers in the center of it! Yee Haw!
    (told my husband I would kill him if he did this after we actually saw it on a trip a few years ago)

• live_oak_lady
    19 years ago

nanahanna, that is called a true "flower bed". I have seen that in central Mississippi.

• Renee_Z8a
    19 years ago

Great thread! There's such a flower bed in a trailer park in our town. The bedframe is spray painted the loveliest shade of bright yellow! :0)

• savannarose
    19 years ago

You paint a sunflower on your giant-sized satellite dish in the front yard of your trailer.

• jessay3
    19 years ago

Please tell me you havent really seen that savannarose.

• savannarose
    19 years ago

Yes, indeed. The satellite dish(big, huge variety) was known as the West Virginia state flower. (Duct tape was otherwise known as West VA chrome-used to hold bumpers on cars, etc.)
    These names were only used in EAST Virginia of course!

• jessay3
    19 years ago

Thank goodness it was in West Va! I didn't want that to pass around the internet, poor Georgia has a bad enough name now for being redneck capital!

I got one for you. You know your a redneck when you have to weedeat the front yard because your dear husbands two riding lawn mowers AND his push mower are broke! True story, I did this yesterday!

• savannarose
    19 years ago

Sounds familiar. We had 2 tractors,a bush hog, a garden tractor with a rotary cutter(walk-behind Gravely) and a Stihl weedeater and my yard was still full of tall grass and weeds.
    Now I do it myself with a $99.00 Walmart pushmower. Works great!

• live_oak_lady
    19 years ago

You have flamingos, turquoise dolphins,and the Virgin Mary statue all on the small front porch from which Christmas lights are still hanging, topped off with a patriotic sign and a college football banner. I have to look across the street at that everyday. Hope she doesn't read this forum.

• botanicalwonders
    19 years ago

You might be a redneck gardner if you plant poison sumac in your flower bed... I actually have seen this and talk about it to all my horticuture friends.. I saw it in Greenville, Mississippi... I still laugh about it. It was not the staghorn variety..

• Pappa
    19 years ago

Your might be a Redneck Gardner:

If every vehicle you own, including your riding lawn mower,is equipped with its own CB radio.

You've ever struck a match to kill the smell in the bathroom.

Then there was the lawyer who stepped in manure, and thought he was melting...

• jaceysgranny
    19 years ago

There's a bathtub smack dab in the middle of your yard planted with flowers.

• dancingdachshunds
    19 years ago

When you turn a (big) satellite dish into a fountain for your garden. I saw it!

• julesnega
    19 years ago

Hmmmmmmm. I can relate to alot this chatter. I must be a redneck, huh?

• mairenn
    19 years ago

you might be a redneck gardener....

if pokeweed roots are lifting the slab under your air conditioner...but you don't mind because the poke is shading that side of your house, and the berries are so pretty....

if you prune the suckers from that old sweetgum stump into a shrub shape.

if you're using that old chain on the oak limb (you know, the one they used to lift the engine out of the tractor) to hang a flower basket off of.

• Dieter2NC
    19 years ago

You cut your grass and find cars!

• Carol love_the_yard (Zone 9A Jacksonville, FL)
    19 years ago

When you use dyed mulch.

• bruggirl
    19 years ago

You have a plant hanger in the front yard made of a 5 foot tall galvanized pipe with plow tines stuck in it upside down so that the plants will hang on the little loops on the end.

• dak001
    19 years ago

you might be a red neck gardener if you have tires tiered up from large tractor to small wagon full of berries. If you have a john deere mail box, john deer Martin house, John deere flag etc etc,,,,Thank Goodness a for sale sign went up!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• imadabbla
    19 years ago

You might be a redneck gardener if...

You have had crispy brown petunias hanging from your front porch eves for about 3 months, five buckets of altheas sitting there for at least that long needing to be planted, and at least 10 other pots of various plants just waiting to go into the ground...but the grass on your front lawn is so high no one will ever notice the dead and dying plants on your porch...LOL...I must be a redneck...LOL

• athagan
    19 years ago

You might be a redneck gardener if...

...you plant what you please where you please and don't give a damn what your neighbors think.

Those flowers are for ME, not YOU.

.....Alan (laughing).

• jeff_w
    19 years ago

I actually saw a real life redneck garden in the Shenandoah Valley: An ancient volkswagen bug had an oak growing through were the passengers once sat!

• JessMonkie
    19 years ago

I can't believe how long this has gone on. How funny! I love the one of the tires cut in half. I've seen that too many times.

Jess

• ACCOLADY
    19 years ago

Though I've found the posts to be funny, I hope
    we're all laughing with them, not at them.

I live smack dab in the middle of almost every post
    above, and trust me, a lot of these folks do with
    what they have. If they made six figures I'm sure
    their tastes would change.

I'll give 'em two thumbs up for creativity.

Sign me with:

A bathtub in the back yard filled with soil and Ivy

Tires cut like flowers, then filled with assorted plants

Upside down 55 gallon plastic drums to overwinter
    my tender plants

An old camper out back I am seriously considering using
    to overwinter a few pots next fall.

Two old factory benches complete with employee
    vulgarities scratched into the wood, sitting next to
    our giant pecan tree. Hey, when ya need a break, thar
    'tis!

Grapevine and sticks of pecan fashioned into a fence
    attached to the chain link fence. Yes, I get loads
    of compliments.

Rocks everywhere, intentionally hauled down the hill
    to surround trees, shrubs, you name it. They
    were free and I had nice muscles from hauling them.
    Can't get those flipping through the Sears catalog,
    now can you?

We don't have a toilet in the yard, but hubby has
    been known to save himself a trip or two.

I wouldn't trade it for city life.

• rivers1202
    19 years ago

You use RoundUp instead of a lawnmower to keep your grass tidy in the Summer. I shouldn't laugh, my husband was doing that to his yard when I first met him. He nearly sprayed the neighbor's Butterfly Bush, which was growing through our fence, because he "thought it was a weed", he said. It was IN BLOOM, for Christ's sake.

• mstrgrdnr
    19 years ago

I resemble those remarks....

Aubrey

• Mandyvilla
    19 years ago

Your homeowner's association sends you a monthly letter regarding the covenants and restrictions violations in your yard. Suz

• brenda_near_eno
    19 years ago

Oh Mandy, I can relate - my HO-Ass'n was always sending me notes when I lived in Cary. The Pres came over one time when I was gardening out front on my little 0.23 acre, and he asked if he could hammer some of the dents out of my battered tin garbage cans for me - I laughed and told him politely that I liked them the way they were. I am laughing with you, Accolady - I respect using what we have - the people who make six figures are out here in the country with you, and we occasionally laugh at those oh-so-manicured yards with their authentic Italian statuary - that's just a tire-cut-in-half to a person living in Italy, you know! Isn't it funny that it's so chic now to recycle objects and grow native plants - when I was growing up, that's what rednecks did!

• desiderata
    17 years ago

I guess I fit into this category
    and to make matters more personal even
    I got FINED for my garden 'props'
    $250 because I refused to trash my treasures.
    went to court, the judge said that art 'is' in the eyes of the beholder...dismissed the case and the little twit who worked for the county, came out and took pictures again and back I went.
    Judge decided to fine me, anyway..on a dismissed case.

things listed above and no perishable garbage..just garden junk.
    'a good'ol boy county'

lesson never forgotten but not learned.

• atarango
    17 years ago

How about this one:

When you use empty 30lb "Tidy Cat" buckets (you know the big ones that cat litter comes in) to plant your container garden in, and you leave the labels on.

(My dad does this, and he's actually a Mexican-American who lives in Southern California, and his defense is that he has all these empty litter buckets and that they are too good to throw away- so he drills holes in the bottom and plants his chili peppers in them. I came home last summer to about 5 of these tidy cat buckets laying around the backyard with Jalapenos sticking out of them. Go figure.)

• amazon
    17 years ago

Someone just posted that idea on frugal gardning. Was that you or another redneck?lol

• suemckee
    17 years ago

I am truly a redneck but I am really proud of it.I do have a commode in my yard with flowers in both tank and pot.Very pretty.have colored lights all over my yard.Very pretty.I have parts from old farm equiptment in flower beds.Have an old cut-off saw and mule drawn hayrake in my yard.We in the SOUTH beleive in reclycling.I love it

• buford
    17 years ago

Hey, we used kitty litter buckets to grow tomatoes in last year. They worked great! I also use them to store stuff in the garage. RECYCLE!

• eddie1
    17 years ago

Amazon, I hope the person who borrowed my idea and used it in the Frugal Gardening forum gets as much mileage out of it as we have here. It has been a hoot and people are still adding to it:

You might be a Redneck Gardener it you plant collards around your mailbox.

• wildflower
    17 years ago

You cut up colorful styrofoam egg cartons and stick them on every tip of the yucca next to the mailbox. I saw this about a month ago. I'm still wondering why. Early Easter decorating maybe?

• amazon
    17 years ago

Hmm. I used some of my others in diffrent forums but I guess I can double post a couple.
    1-you know your a redneck when your excited about your sister raising rabbits becuase you can have the fertilizer.
    2-your husband has a tractor with a bucket, tiller, etc for you 1acre yard
    3-I know I'm a redneck becuase I have a crackhead neighbor
    4-There are milk jugs full of dirt and seed all over the back porch
    5-You dogs bring you possums and armadillos
    6-My beutiful 2 story shed cost $200 for my husband to build, he put it on a rock foundation
    7-If you've ever stole gas from one non-running car to run another.
    8-You've ever booby trapped your gas tank to catch a theif

We are serious redneck and all these are my personal experiences. i'm sure I'll think of more later.

Sponsored
Dream Baths by Kitchen Kraft
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars12 Reviews
Your Custom Bath Designers & Remodelers in Columbus I 10X Best Houzz