Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
dottie_in_charlotte

Plants that survive deer and juglone,nearby black walnut trees

I've printed out nearly every list of 'resistant' plants and now to cross index. This nice, really visible bed is backed by elm,black walnut and locust(spiny) trees. It sprouts a nice growth of wild onions and poison ivy and a bit of japanese stilt grass but little else.

I think I have the p/ivy under control now (three years of spraying) and I'd like to get some color out there.

Wonder if my nuisance sundrops would tolerate juglone?

So far, I know ajuga(bugleweed) should be fine. Just have to try and keep it inbounds.

Japanese iris should be ok there too. Both of them are such short time bloomers though.

I don't want it to be a hit or miss project and cross checking all these lists it eating up planting time.

Anyone have a similar site with predators and soil toxins?

Comments (4)

• blueangel
    17 years ago

Hello Dottie
    Well here goes

Clematis virginiana virgin's bower 3.7
    Hydrangea arborencens hydrangea 18.0
    Hypericum prolificum shrubby St. John's wort 4.7
    Linder benzoin spice bush 21.0
    Parthenocissus quinquefolia Virginia creeper41.0
    Rhus copallina dwarf sumac 15.3
    Rosa species wild rose 29.7
    Vitis species wild grape 34.3
    Viburnum prunifolium black haw 4.7
    Daylilies can survive many harsh conditions that other plants cannot including: polluted city environments, slopes, poor and dry soils, near pavement that is salted in winter, and under Black Walnut trees (not affected by juglone).

the numbers after are the percentage rate for survival
    hope this helps
    Happy gardening

Blueangel

• rosemary_ny
    16 years ago

I can only positively recommend Penstemon "Huskers Red", German Iris, Japanese Anemone "Honorine Jobert" and a Daylily "Hyperion". I have had many plants survive under this tree, but not thrive includung Siberian Iris and Monarda. Actually, the Monarda has been all but eradicated. You can read the lists. but they aren't correct in all cases. Plant a small patch of sundrops and see what happens. My ace in the hole is Honorine. She takes time, but every fall there is a plethora of beautiful flowers and the foliage is always luxuriant. Some of the plants get black marks on their leaves which I blame on the Walnut, but since they are constantly sending out roots and spreading, the majority of them are healthy. I've decided to no longer obsess about these trees and if all else fails, let Honorine do her thing.
    I also have the poison ivy. Golden Rod seems to grow back there too. Also I found, what I thought was a dead tree trunk and trained a trumpet vine on it. I was a woundeed, but not completely dead Walnut. The vine is thriving.

• rosemary_ny
    16 years ago

Sorry, I meant it was a wounded, but not completely dead Walnut.

• dottie_in_charlotte
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Thankyou both. What I did wind up planting and they seem absolutely delighted is big leaf dark purple bugleweed (ajuga), bleeding heart, lambs ears, three other types of ajuga, the purple wandering jew (forget the name) a young japanese maple and three variegated sambucus shrubs. In the front of the bed I put tickflower clumps.
    This after cross checking for plants that deer don't usually bother.
    Went away for nearly three weeks to Italy and returned to a barely visible flower bed. The japanese stilt grass,poison ivy,wild raspberry and other nuisance berry plants had woken up.
    Now it's all weeded again, everything I planted seems perfectly happy near a black walnut and the deer haven't munched anything.
    You've given me great lists of things to add in the fall.

Sponsored