Return to the Southern Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Annuals

Posted by descout W NW of Atlanta (My Page) on
Sun, Mar 13, 11 at 15:35

I would like to plant some annuals in front of my house. This area is on the NW side and receives lots of sun and the soil is fairly well drained. I am looking for annuals I can plant that will give a good summers worth of color.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Annuals

Zinnias (Profusion or Zahara for short ones, Elegans for tall ones), scaevola, Victoria Salvia, Ornamental Peppers (Black Pearl is gorgeous), Tassel Flower, Pentas (I like the standard sized ones best: about 18 inches tall), Marigolds (Durango is excellent), and Vinca.

These are all ones that I have used again and again in my hot southern summer garden. Given decent soil and semi-regular water, they bloom from spring to fall with little care other than a mid summer cut back.

Just as a note, I often wait to start marigolds from seed in pots until the first week of July. Then I plug them into choice spots to mimic chrysanthemums in the fall. There are always some plants that are looking ratty by then. Having a couple dozen fresh blooming plants with which to replace them does a world of good.

o

The annual vincas are my favorite - they come in white, pink, pink-purple. They usually hit the stores around mid-April.

o

Any one ever tried gazanias? I got some last year and they did very well here in Alabama. They like the soil to be just a bit dry like in a raised bed, but pretty tough otherwise.

o

I like to plant the dark leafed begonias. Our local Chili's restaurant always plants begonias out front. I've noticed they put two plants (sometimes different colors) in the same hole to make a larger rounder plant. Also the Victoria Blue salvia is very pretty. For years I planted short marigolds with purple ageratum out near the road at my house. Also, vinca will stay till fall and also red salvia and the gold lantana love the heat.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Southern Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here