Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
pinkspoonbill_gw

Gaultheria procumbens (wintergreen)

pinkspoonbill
16 years ago

Has anyone tried this plant in zone 7 or 8 with a hot, humid summer? I am thinking of ordering a wintergreen, but all of the sites I've seen said it is difficult to produce its growing conditions, and that it does not adapt. It is not supposed to like hot summers. Some sites say it is hardy as hot as zone 8, others say 6 or 7. It is in the ericaceae family, and I have lots of azalias (also in that family), and probably have the acid soil it needs as well as shade. The three winters I have seen here, have not been below 10 F, so some years, I am a zone 8. I am probably not at the cooler, higher elevations that this plant grows at in AL, MS or GA, and have summer temps over 100 each summer, with many consecutive weeks over 90. Has anyone grown Gaultheria procumbens (wintergreen ground cover) in these conditions? Has anyone tried, but not succeeded with this plant? I'd love to try this plant, but do not wish to do so if the odds are stacked way against it, as there are a few other items in the catalog I'd also like to order. If everyone in my climate who tried this plant was not successful, I'm better off trying something else, probably. Thank you for your input.

Comments (2)

Sponsored
Snider & Metcalf Interior Design, LTD
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars23 Reviews
Leading Interior Designers in Columbus, Ohio & Ponte Vedra, Florida