Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
miriame_gw

Getting rid of privet

miriame
19 years ago

My husband and I bought a pre-civil war house with 10 acres of land, of which about 3 acres is yard with many old, and lovely, plantings. Unfortunately, the house was vacant for a number of years and the flower beds, containing heirloom roses, bearded Iris, daffodils, etc. are also overgrown with vetch, privet, and honeysuckle. The vetch and honeysuckle I can deal with, but the privet is the bane of my existence. I'm scared to use Round Up or a similar herbicide because I don't want to kill the desirable plants. I've tried cutting the pivet back and "painting" the stumps with Round Up but they come right back. For the last couple of years, I've just cut the privet back to ground level but have to repeat this several times a year and the yard is too big (and I'm too old) to do this everywhere. Any advice on a permanent solution?

Comments (10)

• oldblush
    19 years ago

Cutting privet only stimulates it. I doesn't have real deep running roots and can be pulled up relative easily.
    Hamp

• doggiedaddy
    19 years ago

I agree with oldblush. I do cut it but only enough to leave myself a good "handle" to pull on when the ground is nice and wet.

• kneecop
    19 years ago

I agree - I soak the ground until it is extremely saturated and pull pull pull. Luckily for me, my dog likes to help out so I have a little bit more leverege. Depending on the size, you might want to have two people pull em out...

• anntn6b
    19 years ago

My Privet can beat y'alls privet any day. Some of ours is over 15 feet tall and a 4wd 3/4 ton Ford pickup truck can't pull it out of wet clay.
    So we cut it with a chain saw and paint the stump with Tordon. It may take a second cut and repainting after it's stunted, but it does work well.
    The Tordon also works to remove year and two year old hackberry and other tree seedlings from inside of mature rose bushes without killing the roses. Don't use it on Poke weed.
    Ann

• britdesign
    17 years ago

We recently moved to Sacramento and when we purchased our house it came with a huge privet tree.Never knew they existed.
    Last week it was cut down and the roots ground down about 10in below ground level.Left are thousands of small privet seedlings all over the yard.They are in the mulch which I can dig up and put in a pile.What I'd like to do is pour something over this to kill the seedlings and then spread the ground cover back . Any ideas on what to use?

• geneg69_a0l_com
    13 years ago

We moved in here 3 years ago and my wife and i have had
    itching allergies for 2 years. This year has been the
    worst. We suspect the yellow pollen that covered our yard from the privet trees we have here. I cut one down but the other one is about 25 feet high and I prefer just to kill it, because I'm 80 and have arthritis in my back. I have tried stripping the bark about 8" but I don't see any change in the leaves. This tree has 6 large trunks branching out. I need to do something before next June
    because thats when the tree starts its blooming. Anyone with
    any ideas how to get rid of it or keep it from blooming.

• Iris GW
    13 years ago

When you scratch the bark to reveal the growing layer, use a foam paintbrush to apply a little herbicide like Brush be Gone. Using the paintbrush allows you to more accurately apply the liquid to the living tissue.

• topsiebeezelbub
    13 years ago

Your pain resonates with me. My Mom and Dad bought an 1855 house that had been vacant ten years...only one acre, but a real privet forest. Thirty years later it is still a battle. Carolina moonseed, poison ivy, ailanthus, hackberry and wisteria are the worst. Without constant work it will return to forest for sure...and herbicides are getting more expensive daily.

• lexiedog3
    5 years ago

We bought 54 acres in Alabama that was covered in 20 year old privet. It has roots the size of 10 inch tree trucks running under the ground from one plant to another. We tried folicuar application but it came back. You can't pull it up when it is this old. The only thing that worked was cutting it off and applying Crossbow herbicide (which has been discontinued now) on the stumps immediately. There is another herbicide that has replaced it that I understand is equally effective. Privet that is not very old can be easily pulled up or use a tree wrench.

Sponsored
Industry Leading General Contractors in Ohio