Return to the Southern Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Experience with heliotrope?

Posted by Blooming_annie z 8/9, Chas, SC (My Page) on
Tue, Mar 22, 05 at 17:32

What kind of experiences have y'all had with growing heliotrope in the south? I never see it planted around here and wonder if the heat and humidity do it in. It is such a pretty plant I may have to give it a try this year jsut to see but would love to hear your input. Thanks.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Experience with heliotrope?

I've grown it in a pot on the deck. Just love it but it is a pest magnet! Maybe it would be less noticible planted in bed w/other things.

o

We sold it at the garden center where I work, but I've never heard how it did for anyone.

o

Resurrecting this old thread to ask the same question. Haven't had this plant since I lived in OH. Full sun here? I want to put it in the ground, so want to get the exposure right the 1st time.

I got it in New Orleans a few days ago, so assuming it's OK with tons of heat/humidity...

o

OK this plant has been added to big front porch steps pot, facing south, in sun all day, with some dwarf snaps (and pansies until they croak.) Decided that would be a great place to be able to sniff it often. If this is a mistake, THAT should elicit comment much more quickly than the vague request above... grins!

o

Good choice of location,purpleinopp mainly because you recognize you bought it for the fragrance also and squatting down and bending further over to sniff the lovely
flowers is kind of silly.
When it goes, try torenia as a replacement for it and the pansies.

o

Hi Dottie, thanks for the reply. When it goes?! Shhh! This plant is going to live forever. ...but just in case, I've added a pentas to the pot also. Nothing else smells like Heliotrope, sigh. I always thought Torenia liked some shade... but haven't had any in about 10 years and, if memory serves, it didn't live long. Probably needed more sun! Will definitely keep my eyes open for some, thanks!

o

I love heliotrope. It does beautifully in the summertime planted or potted here, but, alas, dies off in winter.
kay

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Southern Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here