Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
kristin_1902

Anybody know the name of this tree?

Kristin_1902
19 years ago

I'm probably showing my extreme ignorance here. OK, I'm SURE I'm showing my extreme ignorance. But I would like to know what this tree is:

{{gwi:1259965}}

There are three of them in my yard (we live in Alabama, and we just moved to our house this fall). The flowers have a wonderful scent. They started blooming about two weeks ago.

Can anyone help? Thanks!

Here is a link that might be useful: 1902 Victorian

Comments (15)

• kdenise
    19 years ago

Looks like osmanthus fragrans (sweet olive). Listed as a shrub usually, but I have a Tree in my yard, too. The scent can be a but much at times!

• rivers1202
    19 years ago

Yep. I agree with kdenise. I have a Sweet Olive growing in my frontyard and the leaves and flowers look just like those in your pic.
    Only difference is that MY Sweet Olive is a baby compared to yours....approx. 5 feet tall. WOW! That's one big Sweet Olive you've got yourself.

• CaseysMom
    19 years ago

Well, I am going to offer the minority opinion here.
    Osmanthus is more of a shrub than a tree. They never get a big full trunk like your 2nd pic shows. The flowers are more compact than what is shown here. They are also late summer bloomers in the south.

Although I cannot say for certain what your have, I do not think it is a Tea Olive...

You might try posting it in the "Name the Plant" forum.

• Kristin_1902
    Original Author
    19 years ago

Thanks everybody, at least I have something to go on now. I didn't notice the Name the Plant forum.

Another note, the flowers were fuller - kind of fluffier - two weeks ago.

• Kristin_1902
    Original Author
    19 years ago

On the Name That Plant forum someone identified this as a Carolina cherry laurel.

• PeaBee4
    19 years ago

Nope, Not the Tea Olive. The leaves and the flowers are both slightly different. Here's a site that has a fairly good picture. A Tea Olive will bloom on and off all year.

Here is a link that might be useful: Tea Olive

• PeaBee4
    19 years ago

I agree, it sure does look like the Cherry Laurel. They will make BIG trees.

• sandyhill
    19 years ago

Close, but I think it's Prunus caroliniana - Carolina cherry laurel.

Cherry laurel - Prunus laurocerasus - is a bit smaller, and has a slightly different leaf.

FYI both native and european Cherry laurel are toxic to people and pets (cyanide) so don't eat it or feed it to the cows.

Otherwise a great tree - enjoy!

• rivers1202
    19 years ago

It is a Carolina Cherry Laurel. I found a pic. of one online at another website. Their pic. looks nearly identical to the one in the OP.

Here is a link that might be useful:

• painterbug
    19 years ago

Yes, cherry laurel.

I have 3 big ones that provide wonderful shade. The only downside to this tree is that the little berrys that appear before the flowers will sow just about everywhere.
    I have millions of baby cherry laurels that are easy to mow or pull up when you can catch them young. A little more difficult when bigger. Just keep an eye out.
    They also attract birds to you're yard, so enjoy.

• kdenise
    19 years ago

I never would have thought mine was a Carolina Cherry Laurel - the scent was so heady that I believed the person who told me it was an Olive, but looking at more of the links on the Laurel, that has to be it, red leaf tips and all, and mine has to be 35' tall.
    Thanks!

• WannaBGardener
    19 years ago

Glad we got that one settled. For a few minutes I was afraid my nursery man sold me the wrong tree. (Happy to know that mine is indeed a Sweet Olive.) It blooms year around, and has very tiny little white blooms, that put out wonderful fragrance. And makes a SMALL tree.

• wwlittle
    19 years ago

And if you cut it down and grind it up the wood will smell just like a cherry. Im surprised you only have 3 cause with the amount of friut they put out and the enourmous bird dispersal rate you should have a whole yard of them. Here in SC they are a weed tree. They do smell nice though and can be pruned to be kept under control.

• Kristin_1902
    Original Author
    19 years ago

I'm surprised we don't have more of them, too, now that I've read everywhere how invasive they can be. We do have lots of birds in the yard, many blue jays and cardinals, as well as little brown birds whose names I don't know. We also have an inordinate number of bees and red wasps. The bushes are ALIVE with them.

Here is a link that might be useful: 1902 Victorian

• CoolPlants
    19 years ago

I've always noticed that there are 'points' on the cherry laurel leaves. Not sure what else to call it-opposite of knotches. Somewhat like a holly.
    You can cut any branch maybe 1/2" in diameter and smell the wood. If it's cherry laurel, it has a almond scent.
    kevin

Sponsored