Return to the Southern Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
What to plant?

Posted by tracik Louisiana (My Page) on
Mon, Mar 18, 13 at 21:07

Hi all!! We just bought a house and it faces west. So the front yard will be sun from noon on. We just put sod down and I kept all across the front if the house free for flower garden. I would like to plant a few bushes that do not get too big and then some flowers also. What can I plant that will take the heat? Thanks!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: What to plant?

There's lots you can plant. Shrubs would be roses, butterfly bushes, lantana. These can be kept pruned each year to keep size manageable, or buy dwarf variety. Don't buy a rose for example that gets super huge. Other flowers would be zinnia, cosmos, pentas, daylillies, verbena, marigolds, blackeyed susan. Go to a nursery or garden center and look at their plants in the sunny locations. The tag will tell you full sun. oh also in LA there is shrimp plant.

o

My mother-in-law who lived near New Roads had Hydrangeas in her side yard which was in the open and they were beautiful.

o

indian hawthorne make great foundation shrubs. there's a dwarf version now. loropetalum is a great foundation. there's a new white flowering loropetalum called emerald snow. i'm trying it out. it was just released by southern living.

not sure of the look you are going for....cottage or formal??

boxwoods are great for formals.
as are shi shi camellias and camellia sasanquas.

hibiscus if you are going for the tropical look. cordylines look pretty in all settings for a pop of color. i am using a few pink and green ones this year. they are prettier than the red and green in my opinion.

angelonia are awesome for the cottage look as are senorita rosalita cleomes. dallas lantana was stellar last year and is beginning to bloom again as are my angelonias.

choose a disease resistant crepe myrtle if you want something big

there are TONS of azalea varieties you can choose from too.

good luck!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Southern Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here