Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
sissyz_gw

Mail from HGTV!!

sissyz
19 years ago

Did everyone get this from HGTV??

Hello, and many thanks for contacting Home and GardenTelevision! Gardener's Diary returns to the HGTV programming line-up on Saturdays @ 10:30 a et/pt. Gardener's Journal remains on hiatus from the programming line-up through 2005

All of our programming is dedicated to providing ideas, inspiration and information to our viewers. Though it is our hope that every viewer enjoys the great variety of programs offered on our network, we also realize that not every program is suited for every taste. The comments and suggestions offered in your e-mail will be kept in mind as we plan future programming.

Once again, thank you for taking the time to write to HGTV. Your views on our programs provide the most direct and accurate information upon which we make our programming decisions

our letter writing campaign must have worked!!

Comments (20)

• Dieter2NC
    19 years ago

I did not recieve the mailing, but I do love the show. I have last years episodes recorded on my TIVO and watch them when the winter blues get me.

• cindip
    19 years ago

I didn't get the email either. Thanks for posting it. The emails must have worked. Wonder when it will start coming on?

• meadow_lark
    19 years ago

I went to the HGTV website, but GD is still not listed. Hope it comes back soon. IT'S MY FAVE!!!!

Meadow Lark

• audmendous
    19 years ago

Hurrah! I didn't know about any of this, but I agree, it's the best. Thanks to all who did write in!

• ccl38
    19 years ago

Life is good!

• pfmastin
    19 years ago

I also did a search online for my TV listings and didn't find anything. Bummer. Then I did a websearch and found a note from a gal who had emailed Erica Glasener directly. She received a note back that they are starting to film in April and the show will be back on the air at 7:00 a.m. Monday - Saturday beginning in July.

Pam

• phillip_in_alabama
    19 years ago

I'm so glad I found this! I've wondered what happened to may favorite gardening show. I'm glad to hear that it will be back on again.

• grinchis40
    18 years ago

I knew nothing about any letter writing campaign(I'm pretty new to this forum) but wrote in on my own. I'm so glad my favorite show will be back. They've taken all the good gardening shows away and replaced them with home re-decorating shows.

• FariesAngel
    18 years ago

I did a very long, extended survey for HGTV that included live chat. I let them know in no uncertain terms that I was very disappointed that my favorite shows like Gardeners Diary, The Good Life, Extreme Homes, were replaced by boring home dec. shows. I see that they are taking notice of all of us and our opinions for a change. It's important to let them know what you really are interested in watching.

• sissyz
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Angel,
    What was the result of the survey?
    I remember the Good Life, didn't they move that to the Fine Living channel? Are they all one company?
    How many shows about strangers buying a house in California can we choke down??
    I don't know about you, but I find myself hardly ever watching that silly channel, anymore.

• Brent_In_NoVA
    18 years ago

Woo Hoo! I seldom drop in on this forum, but I am glad I did today. A Gardener's Diary is such a great show. Does HGTV really need a dozen shows of women in tight shirts surprising homeowners and painting their mahogany coffee table with a red faux finish? Not that I mind women in tight shirts mind you, but I would trade that for Erica in her dresses giving us sneak peeks at America's beautiful gardens (remember the episode where she was dressed like a cowgirl). Many of the gardens are a bit over the top for me, but oh the inspiration. Real people with real gardens! 5 days a week again would be great but I would be happy with one or two episodes on the weekends.

- Brent

• ShadyGrove5
    18 years ago

sshhh. They are coming to film an episode at a friend's garden in the Middle TN area this week. I look forward to seeing it soon. It's coming back folks, be patient.

• honeybunny2 Fox
    18 years ago

My favorite hgtv program that they took off the air was landscape by design with Gary Allen, I learned more from this show, than most landscapers. For the first few years, I would not miss a show, they had great ideas on how to landscape front and back yards. They showed you how to make your small yard look inviting like it was designed by a professional landscape designer.. They showed how to design, gardens and flowerbeds for the average small homes in America. They also showed how deep to plant plants, and what slow release ferterlizer to use when planting, and how to mulch plants. Everything you needed to know to do your own yard, it was a great show. I would not miss it. I learned about placing plants in the landscape, and what plants to use, and grouping of plants. I watched it for at least 2 years. Then the show took a new route, they only did million dollar new homes. Then Gary bought some acreage with an older home at the lake, and then every show was a project he did on this older home from redoing the bathroom to redoing the black top driveway. It got so boring, then finally it was taken off the air. I wish they would show the reruns on this show, it was great. I actually took notes from the programs. It was the best show for the small homeowner who could not afford to get a landscape designer to do their yard.

• sissyz
    Original Author
    18 years ago

I remember him, but everything he planted revolved around that grass, I don't remember what it was, but it looked like daylily foliage.
    I remember thinking how soft the soil in Florida must be!!

• Iris GW
    18 years ago

Yes, lots of people made fun of that show because he seemed to use the same plants over and over (Aztec grass, lantana ... and I forget the rest).

• honeybunny2 Fox
    18 years ago

It was aztec grass, oyster plant, yellow lantana, little john azalas, sago palms, and african iris, I drove to Houston 200 miles just to buy the african iris. I purchased them all, I had to get the oyster plant in Florida, no one seemed to know what it was here. I found out later it is called Moses in the boat down here. The plants were used over and over again, but it was the landscape designs that made the show. I thought it was great. I have used what I learned from that show, just helping my freinds with their yards, and I am getting quite good at it. Eveyone thinks I should do this when I retire next year. But I just like to do it for fun. I use diffrent plants except I still use the Aztec grass, which is very hard to get in Texas. In Florida its $1.50 a gallon, and here its $7.98 a gallon and only about 1/4 as full. It looks great as a border around rock flowerbeds. I buy it in Florida, remove all the dirt, and soak them in water, then put the roots in taped zip lock bags and stuff them in a hugh suitcases, and bring them back to Texas.

• sissyz
    Original Author
    18 years ago

honey,
    guess what was in the Kmart garden center, yesterday? (I was only there for a bag of blood meal!!)
    Aztec grass!!

• honeybunny2 Fox
    18 years ago

The 2 Kmart stores that were close to me closed about 2 years ago. I am not sure if there are any stores still in San Antonio, Tx. Last summer I found Aztec grass at Lowes in the 4 " pots. They only had 6 pots left. I have resorted to growing my own. They grow fast if in the sun, and one 4" pot can grow into a hugh plant that will break up into 25 smaller plants in one year.

• RainbowLake
    18 years ago

It doesn't seem like HGTV has any gardening shows on now except for the gardening guy. All the rest are just about landscaping, not really about the actual gardening itself. I will be very glad to have Gardner's diary back on. I love seeing all the ways people have made their own garden and learning about new plants

• honeybunny2 Fox
    18 years ago

I also love to watch The Gardeners Diary . How do you feel about Martha Stewarts gardening show? I wish it was back on TV, I really learned at lot from that show.

Sponsored
Fine Designs & Interiors, Ltd.
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars28 Reviews
Columbus Leading Interior Designer - Best of Houzz 2014-2022