Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
kathy547

best way to handle this situation (long, sorry)

Kathy Johnson
19 years ago

When we moved here about 8 years ago I had just gotten a puppy. She was half chow & half whatever. My husband wanted her brother but there was just something about her that clicked for me so she was the one we took home. I named her Harmony. After we moved & she got several months old she got to chasing cars. Nothing I did to her stopped her. And then a pickup hit her. The lady was very sorry but I told her it wasn't her fault. I took Harmony to the vet & he stitched her up & she stopped chasing cars.

Our place is 4 1/2 acres. We have a neighbor who lives behind us with an access road to his house that runs through our propery. Since we live in the country, no one pens their dogs in. When we moved here, my neighbor had lots of dogs - I counted 13 dogs & puppies one time - & they were coming into our yard, pooping everywhere but the main thing was eating all our dog food we'd set out for Harmony. When we'd run out of chicken feed we'd throw dry dog food to them. My husband taught our animals to leave the chickens alone but the neighbor's dogs would come & dig into the chicken pen, eat the dog food & kill some chickens until we ran out to find out what all the commotion was.

My neighbor had lived there about 10 years before we moved there so we didn't want to make trouble or be known as the upstarts. So, we'd yell at his dogs to "get outta here" & they'd run back home. Harmony started chasing after them & eventually none of them would come into our yard.

About a year ago someone dropped off a dog my kids named Sugar, who had puppies. We kept a male because my husband told my daughter she could have one.

Sugar & her pup (who's now about a year old) started chasing the neighbors dogs back home, same as Harmony. Only these are new, smaller dogs, & they have attacked them. Harmony will also get into the fight when one starts. We suspect our dogs are what killed one of the neighbor's dogs but no one saw anything so we can't be sure. This past Wednesday my neighbor came into my yard & shot my 8 year old dog in front of me & my kids. I asked him what was he doing because I thought he just had a pellet gun (I didn't know 22s weren't loud). He shot her 3 times, killing her with the 3rd shot. He said because he saw her & at least one other dog killing his dog (this is a second dog of his).

I really want to be fair about this, really. I understand that dogs can be dangerous & I wouldn't want them around me either. But we taught one dog who then taught the others to basically do what they did. Which was to chase off other dogs. We didn't mean for them to take it so far. Still, right or wrong, I am very angry with my neighbor. We didn't say anything to him about needing to feed his dogs so that they wouldn't come get our's. We didn't say anything when we kept having to redo the chicken coop & we didn't say anything about the dead chickens. We didn't want to start anything or nitpick.

Once, when I was working as a cashier from 2-10 p.m., my neighbor stopped by to tell me one of his dogs, a pit-mix, was in our hog pen with our hog. He said he thought my husband might have put the dog in there for chasing chickens or something. He was on his way to work & didn't stop to get the dog out. I called my husband & he didn't know the dog was in there. The dog had dug a big enough hole under the fence & got in to eat the hog slop/feed. My husband & son tried to get the dog out but she wouldn't come out & they couldn't go in because there was all this stinky mud all over the place that would suck your shoes right off your feet. My husband said screw it, the dog could find it's own way out & went back to the house. The next day, the kids went to school & my husband went to work so before I had to go to work I tried to get the dog to come out of the pen. I finally grabbed the dog & dragged her out of the pen. My neighbor never bothered to see about her or get her out or anything. That evening or the next (can't remember which) my husband called me to tell me the hog was dead. All the oldtimers say the dog probably ran the hog until he had a heart attack. I don't know, all I know is that there were no marks on the hog. We didn't know what had killed the hog & since he had been dead for an hour or two, we didn't use the meat. The hog was about 350 lbs. - we were getting ready to butcher him when he died - so we had to drag him with a chain & truck through the woods as far as we could go. All that food & time to fatten him up was wasted. My husband was angry at the neighbor because he wanted him to at least offer to pay us alittle something or buy us some meat or something. I said not to start anything & let it go. I did mention to the neighbor the hog died & we didn't know if the dog did it or not. A year or so later we got a goat & put him in the pen & within months we walked out to feed him & he was dead too. Don't know from what but my husband said he couldn't find any marks on the goat.

I'm very heartbroken over my dog, she was like my baby or something. She wasn't a bad dog. She hated baths but would go to the neighbor across the road & swim in her pond. She would fall asleep on her back with her paws stuck straight up - my husband said that was the sign of a content (or lazy) dog. There were times when people would come into the yard & she would plaster herself against me, & other times she seemed to sense they were okay & would go lay down. When my neighbor shot her the first time I saw it, I think she was coming to me thinking I would protect her.

I know some people will say she was just a dog or that she did something bad & deserved to be put down, but she was a good dog for 8 years before this. I'm chaining the other 2 up & it's my husband's & kids responsibility to keep their animals fed. I have so much anger & hostility in my heart for my neighbor now. He killed her in front of me & my kids, not 2 feet from my front door.

As I said, I'm trying to be fair & see both sides of this situation. But it's really hard when I go out behind my house to my garden & his dogs start barking. Or they follow him down the access road when he goes to work. My dog was only doing what we taught her to do. In fact, we encouraged her with telling her what a good girl she was for chasing the dogs off our land. Anyone want to give me pointers on how to be forgiving toward my neighbor & myself?

Comments (9)

• brenda_near_eno
    19 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

I'm sorry for your loss - it's like losing a human friend in many ways. Unfortunately , although you were trying to be tolerant and peace-loving, not saying anything to him, now your neighbor has no idea of your side of all these events. If it were me, I'd do two things. I'd go down to local sheriff office and get a "no trespass" on your neighbor - that means if he ever comes on your property again and you see him, they will arrest him. I'd also write your neighbor a letter, stating that you want to get along, but you are very upset about your dog, and list your side of the history, as factually and non-emotionaly as you can. The idea is to get him the facts in a way he will read and maybe try to understand , and also put in place a barrier to further problems. Again, I am so very sorry.

• ernie50
    19 years ago

I'd check with the law just to see where things stand.And invest in some fencing.If he's crazy enough to kill your dog in front of you,anything could happen.Sorry about your dog.

• Iris GW
    19 years ago

Now that you know what your neighbor is capable of (and shooting someone's dog right in front of them and their child seems extremely mean), I would do as the others suggest (document everything and report it) and I would do what you can to protect yourself, your family and pets. And I think one of those things is a fence.

• westtxteach
    19 years ago

Make sure that you report what happened with your dog. A paper trail needs to be left just in case anything ever happens again. I'm so sorry for the loss of your dog. I know how they become a member of the family. Your neighbor did a very cruel and inhumane thing. I can only imagine how this has affected your children. There should be a law to protect you from this happening!

• greenelbows1
    19 years ago

I have a half-chow half-whatever too, and if someone shot her I'd not be calm or forgiving at all. When he came on your property he was trespassing. When he shot your dog in front of you and your children he was dangerous and frightening. I'm guessing he doesn't bother to feed his dogs and thinks you're patsies for doing it for him. People like that---!! What I'm thinking I can't type in a public forum! Recently a local person and his son were arrested for the way they treated their dogs. All 64!!! had to be put down. He's facing 64 counts of cruelty to animals and I guess they're planning on running them consecutively so he'll have to do some real time, otherwise I suppose it'd be like six months. And no, you're not out of line for grieving for your dog, and anyone who says 'just a dog' hasn't had the blessing of the undiluted total love a dog gives us.

• bruggirl
    19 years ago

I'm sorry, but in ANY state, it's illegal for anyone to come onto your property and shoot your dog. And someone who would do it in front of your kids is a dangerous person. If this person has lived in the country for any time, he knows better than to put a dog in with a hog. You have dangerous neighbors, and I would move, or call the law, or do something to let them know that I wasn't going to put up with them.

When I lived in the country, my neighbor's little chihuahuas dug in under my chicken pen fence and killed all my baby chickens. I know, because I saw him running across the yard with one. I tried to talk to them, but they wouldn't listen, so I called animal control, and they made him fence the dog up.

The law states that your animal has to be kept on your property. Unfortunately, this applies to you too. If your animal goes onto someone else's property and causes damage, you are liable. But by the same token, if your neighbor comes and shoots your dog in front of your children, he can go to jail.

Don't back down to these people, or they'll see you as weak, and they'll make your life hell.

As for your goat, if you ever fed it wheat, or wheat bread, that's why it died. My neighbor hated me so much, he fed my goats scratch feed to kill them.

I now live three states away from those jerks, even sold them my house, termites and all. I hear the fat wife fell through the floor and broke her leg. Hate to sound mean, but what goes around, comes around.

• bruggirl
    19 years ago

I'd like to add that this man probably already has a criminal record if he would do something like this. Go to your local sheriff and have them look him up. If you're lucky, he's got warrants out on him, or he's on probation and you can have him locked up.

In the meantime, think of what he might do if your child harmed one of his animals and make plans to move.

• gatormomx2
    19 years ago

Try posting this on the Farm Forum- I'll bet you get some very interesting replies. A similar post was on that forum not long ago.
    When I read where the neighbor shot your dog in front of you I honestly dropped my jaw ! What a shock !
    My deepest sympathies for your loss.

• Okiedawn OK Zone 7
    19 years ago

I am so sorry for your loss.

First, you MUST report this to law enforcement immediately. Even if they tell you that you cannot press charges against this person(which I cannot imagine as he was guilty of trespassing at the very least), the law enforcement officers should make an 'information report' about the incident.

Secondly, find out exactly what the law says where you live.
    I live in a rural area with no leash law, so dogs can run free as they please. HOWEVER, once a dog steps off its own property, it can be shot if it is a threat to any person or animal. Thus, in our area, your neighbor could have legally shot the dog on his property or even if it was on county property like in a roadway, but could not come onto your property and legally shoot it as he did.

Third, in addition to reporting the incident to the police, report it to the humane society if your area has one.

Fourth, consult an attorney about how to proceed in protecting your property from this person and his animals. In some jurisdictions you must clearly post No Trespassing signs. In others, you must mark your perimeter with a certain color of paint. You may have to send a "cease and desist" letter informing this person that criminal charges will be filed if he trespasses onto your property. You obviously need a fence to keep your animals home, and his animals out, and I realize that is a major expense. Consulting an attorney is also an expense, but you have a very difficult situation on your hands and need to be careful every step of the way to ensure you understand the law and comply with it yourself. It also will help establish firmly for you just what your legal rights are.

Fifth, you need to inform this neighbor that the encroachment of his animals on to your property will no longer be tolerated. It is best to do this in writing. You will have to decide for yourself what steps to take if the animals come onto your property again. It is best to think about this and decide in advance what to do. That way you don't make a snap judgement in the heat of the moment that you might regret.

I would find it almost impossible to even attempt to maintain a friendly relationship with someone who came onto my property and behaved as your neighbor did. I suspect it is time to worry less about getting along & being a good neighbor and time to worry more about protecting yourself, your family, your animals and your property. You know, a person who would kill an animal in front of its family on its own property might do just about anything. Be careful.

Finally, if you want to forgive this person, fine. Do the Christian thing and forgive him if you can. BUT, do not forget! I suspect that a person like this, if he knows you have forgiven him, might do something similar in the future because he got away with it once.

Again, my condolences for the loss of your beloved pet, and especially because you had to witness such a heinous event.
    I hope everything works out for you and your family.

Sponsored