Return to the Southern Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Transplanting a Hedge Can it be done

Posted by tokuo Florida (My Page) on
Thu, Mar 22, 07 at 23:01

I am new to the forum I posted on 3-22-07 and I dont think I put in the correct topic I have a arboricola green hedge a little over 4 feet I was told it could grow 10ft it is now around my screened in pool I want to transfer it around 10ft over in the same location and use it as a privacy hedge I was told by several nursury's that it would not survive the transplant in Naples Florida and I should plant new ones for the privacy hedge and cut my others down since I do love them and they are easy to care for. I did find one nursury who said there would be no problem in transplanting them I don't want to see them die I'm going to have to plant the arboricola in either place so the cost is not an issue It's just that there taller ones would have a head start on the hedge But I could leave them where they are they are they are 3 yrs old and I could plant new little ones for my hedge I have no knowldedge and don't know what to do any information would be appreciated I don't want to kill them. Thank You

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Transplanting a Hedge Can it be done

To be truthful, I am not familiar with Arboricola as anything but a very popular house plant, and thinking of it in terms of a landscape hedge is kind of foreign to me, lol! I'll bet it's a beauty!

I worry about the success of transplanting an evergreen shrub now that you are getting into your warmer weather. Perhaps in the fall? I also think that you should hire a landscaping company to do the job for you, to help ensure the success of the venture. I know that these plants can be readily root pruned as container grown plants, but the behavior in situ might be completely different.

Sorry that I can't be of any more help. Have you called your local extension office to chat about this?

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Southern Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here