Return to the Southern Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Pine Straw as a universal mulch

Posted by bspatial5 (My Page) on
Tue, Apr 3, 07 at 0:44

Here in central Mississippi we have an abundant supply of pine straw which is usually piled around all types of plants. Is this a mistake? Are there some plants that are best not mulched with pine straw?
Thank you-Paul

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Pine Straw as a universal mulch

Pine straw is a terrific mulch for all kinds of in-ground plants. The only place where it should be avoided is in a seeding bed. Pine straw has been proven to prevent the germination of some seeds. Great weed control, huh?

By the way, pine straw isn't just used in Central Mississippi, but in ALL locations that this renewable resource is commonplace.

o

About the only thing you have to worry about is that in a rose bed, it will gradually increase the acid content of the soil. If you find that roses, which like a more alkaline soil, aren't doing well, add a little lime. It's the greatest mulch in the world for acid lovers like azaleas and camellias.

o

Many thanks for the responses. I have used it around roses. I'll lime them a bit and be more careful. I'll also Google "alkaline loving plants" and assume same for them.

o

Be careful....it may take YEARS for the pine straw to make a difference. Just watch your roses and have your soil tested if you begin to see them decline.

o

The soil over most of the southeast is naturally acidic, pines have been growing here since time has been recorded (and before). Using pine straw as mulch today isn't going to make a big difference. It sure looks good though.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Southern Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here