Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
atlanta_gardener

Lady's Mantle in the South

atlanta_gardener
19 years ago

Hi, I was just wondering if anyone's had experience growing Lady's Mantle (Alchemilla Mollis) in this area. My in-laws in Michigan have tons of it but according to a couple of my sources it may be too hot here. What do you guys think? Thanks in advance for your assistance!

Comments (14)

• jeff_al
    19 years ago

didn't like my place at all. may be that zone 7 is its southern limit?

• lsmcw
    19 years ago

I've tried it twice - didn't like me either. Linda

• Iris GW
    19 years ago

I see it growing at abandoned home sites from time to time in the atlanta area.

• tabassam
    19 years ago

I bought some cheap 6-packs from Wal-mart 3 yrs. ago and put some in a moist shady place--they were very small for 2 yrs. and this spring they finally have some growth to where it is noticable. I wouldn't buy any expensive ones. The ones I planted in dry shade and/or sunny places died out. By the way, I have a 2yr. cyclamen in a small pot that I overwintered and have placed in a shady cool microclimate place and it bloomed again (only 2 blooms, but I was trilled nevertheless) and still holding on with the blooms going on 6 weeks. I think if you have a microclimate that would suit a potential plant--you probaly can grow it.

• ccl38
    19 years ago

Planted it twice--watched it die both times--won't plant it again.

• sugarhill
    19 years ago

I have alchemilla mollis - common Lady's Mantle. It grows fine just north of Atlanta in Gwinnett County. Better than fine. I got mine from a nursery over near Athens that sells only plants that do well in this area of Georgia. It's absolutely beautiful today after yesterday's rain. I'm a beginner gardener and not very good at it yet, so you don't need to know what you're doing to grow it. Make sure it's in shade.

• squirrelspur
    19 years ago

I have some I grew from seed that is doing well under trees. 'Irish Silk' is the name of the cultivar.

K

• ccl38
    19 years ago

It is such a pretty plant and I have watched it melt twice.

• faeriegardenmum zone 6
    10 years ago

Looking for anyone else to comment, I want some so bad, miss my Midwest garden. I have been planting other plants with need of afternoon shade, in a new part sun bed with improved soil, hoping that may be what they need. I am halfway between ATL and Chatanooga.

• lackey5335
    8 years ago

Just planted 6 of them around a tall tree in my yard,waiting on them to sprout up,its not a very shaded area,will they do good?An how much should I water them and how long before they start sprouting up ?

• faeriegardenmum zone 6
    8 years ago
    last modified: 8 years ago

I think it's most important to give them some protection from the late day sun. Like you should for most Heucheras. I just love it, and as someone else commented, so beautiful after the rain. Keep it watered especially the first year until established. They should wow you next year, if they are in the right spot.

• HU-456651571
    5 years ago

I'm in Memphis (sort of between South and Midwest, but very hot in summer). I have perfect spot in garden (lots of shade with a little morning sun), and I love the plant, so I was going to try next year. Is it a bad idea? I realize I'll have to water a lot.

• marcyfink
    last year

I keep trying it in Cobb county greater ATL, but have crash and burned so far. Trying again on a more shaded spot…..