Return to the Southern Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Lady's Mantle in the South

Posted by atlanta_gardener 7b Atlanta (My Page) on
Thu, Apr 15, 04 at 2:57

Hi, I was just wondering if anyone's had experience growing Lady's Mantle (Alchemilla Mollis) in this area. My in-laws in Michigan have tons of it but according to a couple of my sources it may be too hot here. What do you guys think? Thanks in advance for your assistance!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Lady's Mantle in the South

didn't like my place at all. may be that zone 7 is its southern limit?

o

I've tried it twice - didn't like me either. Linda

o

I see it growing at abandoned home sites from time to time in the atlanta area.

o

When I was a southern greenhorn some years ago I went to buy several pots of lady's mantle at a nursery and the woman working there made a funny face when I put them in my cart. "Don't they grow well here?" I asked. She looked over her shoulder, checking to see if the boss was around. "It can be difficult," she said, and then, deciding she shouldn't discourage a sale, amended that. "Try it for yourself and see." I bought the plants, put them in my garden, and they literally melted away as the weather warmed. So now I know better. Almost ANYTHING I see growing in massive heaps and billows in a British gardening book or mag (or PNW, for that matter) I avoid like the plague, because I know my climate is the exact opposite. Now when I shop at a nursery and I see someone picking up alchemilla mollis or delphinium or cyclamen or anything else that I know is going to be dead in two weeks I make a face -- and hope they catch on.

o

I bought some cheap 6-packs from Wal-mart 3 yrs. ago and put some in a moist shady place--they were very small for 2 yrs. and this spring they finally have some growth to where it is noticable. I wouldn't buy any expensive ones. The ones I planted in dry shade and/or sunny places died out. By the way, I have a 2yr. cyclamen in a small pot that I overwintered and have placed in a shady cool microclimate place and it bloomed again (only 2 blooms, but I was trilled nevertheless) and still holding on with the blooms going on 6 weeks. I think if you have a microclimate that would suit a potential plant--you probaly can grow it.

o

• Posted by ccl38 8A Savannah, GA (My Page) on
    Tue, Apr 20, 04 at 16:47

Planted it twice--watched it die both times--won't plant it again.

o

I have alchemilla mollis - common Lady's Mantle. It grows fine just north of Atlanta in Gwinnett County. Better than fine. I got mine from a nursery over near Athens that sells only plants that do well in this area of Georgia. It's absolutely beautiful today after yesterday's rain. I'm a beginner gardener and not very good at it yet, so you don't need to know what you're doing to grow it. Make sure it's in shade.

o

I have some I grew from seed that is doing well under trees. 'Irish Silk' is the name of the cultivar.

K

o

• Posted by ccl38 8A Savannah, GA (My Page) on
    Wed, Nov 17, 04 at 16:00

It is such a pretty plant and I have watched it melt twice.

o

Looking for anyone else to comment, I want some so bad, miss my Midwest garden. I have been planting other plants with need of afternoon shade, in a new part sun bed with improved soil, hoping that may be what they need. I am halfway between ATL and Chatanooga.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Southern Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here