Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
becktuck

Can anyone name this shrub?

becktuck
17 years ago

We had a lot of overgrown plants when we moved into this new house in early fall. We've cut a lot of things back, but I don't know what to do with this one -- it's obviously overgrown but I'm not sure how/when to prune. I took these pictures two weeks ago...it's almost "blooming" now.

Here's a wide shot:

And a closeup:

Thanks for the help!

Comments (8)

• loveofmylife680
    17 years ago

Looks like red tip

• becktuck
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Looked it up and I think you're right. Thanks! Now I just have to figure out what to do with it.

• agnespuffin
    17 years ago

It is one of the plants called "Red Tip" You can trim it down, prune it up, just about anything you want. It will take what ever you throw at it and come back just fine. As big as it is, you might enjoy it more if you did cut it back some.

I've got a couple that where about that size when we moved here in 1991.....I keep them trimmed back to make a better fit with the rest of the shrubs. They do have a nice white flower when they bloom.

• rhizo_1 (North AL) zone 7
    17 years ago

I think it would be a terrible waste to prune that lone photina! I can't quite tell from the photo, but you might have the room to 'tree-form' it, turning it into a nice tree. Limb it up far enough so that the lower branches don't get in the way of the walk way. Tree form photinias are gorgeous, and not nearly as prone to the terrible leaf spot diseases that the hedged plants are.

It looks like your plant could be a multi-trunked tree, if you wanted.

If you DO want to cut it back, it should be cut all the way back to 6 inch stumps, so that new growth can emerge close to the ground. Red tips can respond with up to 4 feet in a single year when rejuvenated properly.

Here is a link that might be useful: {{gwi:274863}}

• cathys1951
    16 years ago

Can this possibly be a Tea Olive? I have one and the sprouts your seeing are blooms not new red leaves, which is what the red tip put on, then later it has a bloom of sorts.
    They are pretty trees. I have two actually but I thought they were bushes and I planted them to close to the foundation of my house so I have to keep them trimmed, but they can be shaped very pretty, even like the crape myrtles.
    Just a thought, does anyone know which these are.
    Cathy

• laurabs
    16 years ago

We always cut them down to about 24 inches tall and then dug them out, sometimes using a pickup truck with 4-wheel drive. :oD

Hey, at least that one looks healthy for now, not like the ones we pulled out at our townhouse.

• topsiebeezelbub
    16 years ago

I'm not convinced that it is a red tip. Cut a stem and take it to a nursery, and look for someone who is not a teenager. You make find valuable help...if not try another nursery. Don't do anything until you are sure what it is.

• BriosaFarm
    16 years ago

I notice this is an older question...wonder if the original poster is still wondering what the shrub is? LOL Anyway, it is definitely not a tea olive, and I also question whether it's red tip photinia, the new growth should be redder and give the plant an overall redder appearance. There are a couple of more desirable photinia varieties which this shrub might be...one of them is Chinese photinia but I don't know that one well enough to be sure. Kind of fits, though. If it were mine I'd prune it up into a tree.

Sponsored