Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
vivvian_gw

Mystery Bulb Agapanthus??? Need your Help!!

vivvian
16 years ago

Hello. I moved into a home two years ago and have been troubled by not knowing the identity of a mystery flower growing in the back yard. If anyone has any ideas please send them my way.

The leaves are long 20"-30" straps with a rounded end. There is only one seam on the leaf and it runs up the center. They are smooth to the touch.

They are growing in my shade garden (the area appears as if it has always been shaded) but, they are especially happy in the sun. The ones in the shade did not flower last year.

The flower sits upon a very long shaft 30-40" long. The flowers I have are pink in the center and white on the ends. If I am not mistake (going from memory) there are 5 flowers clustered on top of the shaft. They have a trumpet type look to them.

I have looked in several gardening/bulb/flower identifing books/sites. The only thing I have found that is similar is the Agapanthus- the african blue lily. Does anyone have any other ideas.

the pictures of the blue lily do look similar but, I don't remember it having so many flowers on the shaft. Plus, none of them are blue.

My house only had one owner before me and he lived in it for sixty years. His daughter told the real estate person that the flowers had been there her entire life. I know they are old due to the house being built in the 40's.

Once they bloom, I will post a pic. I have hundereds of bulbs to exchange but, would like to know what they are first.

Comments (4)

Sponsored
Capital City Construction & Remodeling
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars6 Reviews
Franklin County's Custom Kitchen & Bath Designs for Everyday Living