Return to the Southern Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Moss

Posted by cabi NC (My Page) on
Sat, Apr 5, 08 at 8:13

Moss Help!! I have a beautiful moss rock garden that was recently overrun by weeds (too many to pull out). Is there a way to kill the weeds and keep the moss?

THANK YOU!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Moss

You'll need some rubber gloves, a cotton glove and round up. Put on the rubber glove, cover with a cotton glove and wet the cotton glove with round up. Rub the leaves of the weeds with the gloved hand, keeping it away from the moss.

o

i thought roundup brand herbicide (glyphosate active chemical) does not affect moss?
if you wanted to try that by spraying a small area, would save you some time, in my opinion, instead of using the technique posted above.

o

Why does spanish moss grow on some trees and not others? For instance my Live Oaks, Chestnut Oaks and Crepe Myrtles are covered in the stuff but my hickories hardly have any, even though they are growing right next to each other. Don't think it's scaliness of bark because though hickories do have smoother bark than the oaks, Crepe Mytle bark is even smoother. I'm not trying to get rid of the moss, I'm just curious.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Southern Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here