Return to the Southern Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
semi shade vine, 30 feet plus, evergreen

Posted by southernearthangel 8b (My Page) on
Wed, Apr 19, 06 at 10:20

I am looking for a vine that will grow up a trellis 30+ feet on a part of my house. This area gets mid-day sun, often very hot in the summer in Charleston, then its mostly shade. I have been doing some research, and was wondering if y'all had any other suggestions. I am 25 and still have much to learn in my lifetime of gardening. I love suggestions and reccomendations! I pretty much want one plant (in mass) to cover the trellis, all 30 feet! I know the English and Algerian Ivies will handle the job, but the idea of Carolina Jessamine or Confederate Jasmine seem so much lovelier!!! I am not sure if the latter two will make it to the top like the ivy. That is very important. Also it must be evergreen!!! Is there maybe a vine that I have overlooked that can handle the job, maybe one that celebrates the south a bit more?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: semi shade vine, 30 feet plus, evergreen

Well, please don't use English Ivy - that is such a pest plant! How about Clematis armandii?

Here is a link that might be useful: Clematis armandii

o

If you have ever seen the Carolina Jessamine sprawling along the tops of pine trees, then you know that they can readily cover your trellis. You will simply need to prune occasionally to keep it full on the bottom.

o

Thanks for the follow-ups. I searched for the Clematis Armandii, and I would have to wait until next spring to plant. (My local nurseries dont have any in stock). I might just go with my first instinct of the Carolina Jessamine...........ahh, then I wont have to wait either! Thanks! (I am open to any other suggestions!)

o

I have a confederate jasmine that climbs to the top of a huge old live oak and drips from every limb. It is in full bloom right now, and the fragrance is to die for.

Betty

o

There are several other choices that are available...

Silver Lace Vine comes to mind. And one I have growing is a climbing hydrangea (although it is deciduous). Another is the Sky Vine which is in the thunbergia family of vines. Coral Honeysuckle is another favorite.
You can find most of these in the Charleston area nurseries.

o

Akebia is another possibility--beautiful evergreen vine, very hearty and fast growing. In the spring, it has tiny purple flowers. It grows up columns at the Summit, an outdoor mall in Birmingham and is gorgeous!! I purchased a plant after seeing it at the Summit and have had it about three years and am very pleased with it. It also roots very easily. It is also called chocolate plant. You can go to Hortiplex at Garden Web and see pictures and read more about it.

o

Cross vine is pretty. Grows to 30 feet evergreen here in 8b and mine has bloomed all year. It has orangish trumpet shaped flowers and the hummers like it. Also it's a fast grower.

o

I love my winter jasmine. It puts on a lovely show in the winter when all else is cold and dreary.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Southern Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here