Return to the Southern Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Why did my crape myrtle trunk split?

Posted by cactus6103 8 (My Page) on
Fri, Apr 30, 10 at 10:31

I have three 12 tall crape myrtle trees that have been in my yard six years and produced many flowers every year in a deep raspberry color. This spring, many of the trunks have split open and killed that portion of the tree. The splits are about 1/8" wide and 4" to 6" long. What would cause this? Other parts of the same tree did not split and are producing leaves beautifully with no problem. Whats going on?

Red

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Why did my crape myrtle trunk split?

I forgot to mention that I am located just north of Charlotte Nc. Thanks for any help.

Red

o

Could be freeze damage. Did you experience an extra hard winter as so many of us did?

I would like to see some pictures, though.

o

The weight of ice or snow probably is the culprit.

marie

o

It couldn't take the wife any more.

o

I have a crape myrtle in my side yard that has done the same thing on one branch, although it still has great foliage. We had no ice or snow to speak of, so I'm up in the air as to the cause. I'd like to know, however, what I could do to repair the split and prevent further damage.

Anna

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Southern Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here