Return to the Southern Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
plant under tree in Myrtle beach SC

Posted by shelben USDA 8 SC (My Page) on
Sun, Apr 17, 11 at 10:40

Have a beautiful crabapple tree near my driveway. Big thirsty roots. Want to plant something under the tree. Other than mulch, have any suggestions.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: plant under tree in Myrtle beach SC

Why not replace it with a tree that actually yields edible fruit? I've never seen any value in fruit trees that only give flowers.

o

Good grief. I find that an extremely narrow view, alex.

Shelben, I hadn't replied to this post earlier because I am one of those who want to tell you that mulch is the best thing to use under your tree, especially if you value it.

If you consider the damage you might do to the root system when planting, perhaps you'll reconsider. That 'beautiful' crabapple might react very negatively to digging, extra watering, competition from other roots sytems, etc.

o

If it is pretty shaded I love thick beds of cast iron plant under a tree! Also holly ferns.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Southern Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here