Return to the Southern Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
mulch can poison your dog!

Posted by topsiebeezelbub z7 Al (My Page) on
Thu, Apr 6, 06 at 11:57

I just read that cocoa hull mulch smells so good that dogs have been known to eat it and die! If you have poochies, use another mulch.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: mulch can poison your dog!

This is an urban legend I think. I remember reading a long post about it about a year ago.

o

Not a legend. Better to take a couple of seconds to look something like this up rather than dismiss it. It's always better to be safe than sorry.

Here is a link that might be useful: cocoa mulch toxicity

o

chocolate is VERY DANGERIOUS for dogs! and chocolate is made from.....

o

From the Snopes page: This warning about the potential danger to pets posed by cocoa mulch began appearing in our inbox in May 2003. Unlike the majority of scary alerts spread through the Internet, there is a good deal of truth to this one, although we haven't encountered any substantiated cases of pet deaths caused by ingestion of cocoa mulch.

Chocolate candy, baking cocoa, unsweetened chocolate can be dangerous for dogs. Cocoa mulch is another matter entirely.

It's been in wide spread use for many, many years now and like Snopes I've never heard or read of a documented case of a dog being poisoned by eating cocoa hulls.

.....Alan.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Southern Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here