Return to the Southern Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Does any one know what this is? Bug/ Larva in soil?

Posted by donovanc FL (My Page) on
Sun, Apr 14, 13 at 15:05

Hi

I found this in the soil of my garden this morning. It had a hard shell, was brown, and it moved one end around. It look very odd and I can not find a pic of this thing online.

Thanks
Donovan

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Does any one know what this is? Bug/ Larva in soil?

It looks like a june bug pupa.

o

Definitely not a Junebug pupae. It's the pupae of one of the Sphinx moths. Many of the species have very similar pupal cases so it's almost impossible to tell who is who until the moths emerge.

o

The loop on the left side is rather odd. Is it perhaps the tongue structure for a big moth?

o

Sphinx moth pupa is much better than junebug! (pupae is plural pupa is singular)

o

Yes, the handle holds the developing mouthparts. Sphinx moths are fairly good sized insects, but there are other species much larger that don't have that appendage. They do, however, have an extremely long proboscis, which consists of two parts connected to form a tube. That's the reason for the hook.....neat, huh?

o

• Posted by wisner 9 Louisiana (My Page) on
    Tue, Apr 16, 13 at 19:25

That is what a hornworm looks like when it goes into the soil to later emerge as a moth.
http://www.examiner.com/article/getting-rid-of-hornworms

o

hummingbird moths. we have these. they are fun to watch at dusk. they look like chubby short hummingbirds and aren't the least bit afraid of humans. they buzz around from flower to flower. the kids LOVE watching them! they like pentas and lantana as well as my duranta bush.

o

it's remarkable how much they resemble the hummingbirds. we thought they were fat baby hummingbirds the first time we saw 3 of them flitting around at dusk. it's hard to tell because of the time of day/night that they appear. it's like clockwork, however

o

Marvelous photo !

o

• Posted by LKZZ 7b (My Page) on
    Mon, May 13, 13 at 10:33

Lepidoptera: Sphingidae showing the proboscis (the curved thin area).

A Sphinx Moth of which the Hornworm is a type of.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Southern Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here