Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
scgatorgal

Where to plant columbine?

scgatorgal
18 years ago

Hi, all -- Just bought some really cool columbine plants today. The tags say "Sun to Part Sun." But I keep hearing they need shade. We're in York, SC, just southwest of Charlotte, NC.

Any thoughts? Any other advice on columbine?

Thanks!

Comments (12)

• sugarhill
    18 years ago

Dappled shade from pine trees or decidous trees works well. I have mine in a woodland garden. They're never in direct sun, but never in complete shade either. They seem happy in this location. I also have some seedlings growing like crazy right now in morning sun and afternoon shade, but I'll move them to dappled shade before summer gets here and the sun really beats down.

• scgatorgal
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Thank you -- I had the feeling direct sun might be too much. I'm just so tickled with them, such pretty things.

• leighmac
    17 years ago

I live in zone 7 and have two hybrid columbines in full sun, going on three and four years. They are thriving with not much fuss. Full of flowers now, but come July they will still have great foliage.

• katzswoman
    17 years ago

Hey South Carolina,
    I live in TN now but my columbine likes dappled shade like my hostas, I never saw them growing in SC when I was growing up but got interested in them after touring out west.
    Hope this helps
    Martha

P.S. they like to be in well drained soil

• buford
    17 years ago

I planted some columbine seeds in a full shade area 2 years ago and low and behold one came up this year! I didn't know what it was and almost pulled it up. It's growing fine with no sun. I'm going to try to get some of the seeds and pot plant them so I can remember when/if they come up.

• Dieter2NC
    17 years ago

Different varieties of Columbines will grow in different conditions. You can get a Columbine for almost any situation.

• ronda_in_carolina
    17 years ago

Dappled light or just morning sun has another benefit....it helps them hold their color and not fade.

Ronda

• chrystallake_2007
    16 years ago

I have mine in full sun, and they thrive

• buford
    16 years ago

full sun in New Jersey and full sun in South Carolina are two different animals.

• debbi
    10 years ago

My columbine seem to grow in all light and soil conditions. They are very sturdy, prolific plants. I plant in areas where I will enjoy their "baby" plants.

• User
    9 years ago

Mine do well in a range of light conditions from full sun, to dappled sun, AM sun, and PM sun. Maybe I should try them in the shade garden. Easy plants and will slowly spread (would not call them invasive). Added plus, these delicate-looking plants are deer proof!

• gardenper
    9 years ago

I can confirm that some of my columbine came up in full shade. They took longer than the ones in part sun, but they did show up finally. I like that the spread, and if i see one in an area I didn't like, I just pull it.

Sponsored
Capital City Construction & Remodeling
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars6 Reviews
Franklin County's Custom Kitchen & Bath Designs for Everyday Living