Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
christel_gw

Mississippi Gardeners, where are you?

Christel
22 years ago

I thought it would be nice to find out where some of the Mississippi garden web users are located. I live in Batesville and have often wondered if there are other garden web users in the area.

I wish that someone in the Memphis area would host a mid-south plant swap. I wish I had the time to be completely in charge, but unfortunately I don't. However, I would be willing to help out.

Let's hear from you MS!!

Comments (88)

• slcdms
    20 years ago

I live about 8 miles out of Ripley.
    Sandra

• MissMagnolia
    20 years ago

Ocean Springs here!

• LisaLou
    20 years ago

Hi. I'm growing antique roses over here in Pass Christian.

• msjacki
    20 years ago

Hiya!

Olive Branch here! It's great to see others from the same area!! I'd love to do some trading with others in the area! Our home is new, so that means my garden is too. But....we are off to a great start!. I'm interested in minature roses if anyone has some to trade.

Great meeting you all!
    Jacki

• cooper8b
    20 years ago

I'm from jackson Ms. I garden a little bit of everything.

• Kjanquen
    20 years ago

I live in Richland Ms....I am obsessed with plants....I grow a lot of perrinals...I share with all my neighbors...I am from La. My La. iris are starting to bloom.I think I have the greenest thumb since my mom had hers.Keep Planting! Julie

• iluv2garden
    20 years ago

Hello from Long Beach!

• Phoenixhill
    20 years ago

Checking in from Phoenix, a spot in the woods between Vicksburg and Yazoo City

• MSandLA
    20 years ago

My gardening near Picayune is mostly improving the habitat for the wild animals of my forrest land.

• Old__Farmer
    20 years ago

Wheres Batesville????? Jes kiddin from Wiggins Ms.

• eldridgearts
    20 years ago

Hello from Meridian...

• riverwoman
    20 years ago

Howdy from Pearlington. Southwest Gulfcoast, near Slidell, LA

• autotetraploid
    20 years ago

Hello, Also from Starkville

• devadoll
    20 years ago

Another Hattiesburg area gardener here!

• CGreen
    19 years ago

Gardening from Bay St Louis

• MSMagnolia_8
    19 years ago

Howdy from the boonies! Dexter -- east of Tylertown, Walthall County.

I just discovered GW several nights ago and am absolutely captivated...and I thought eBay was addictive.

I love hybrid daylilies and calla lilies. Anyone else?

'tis so nice to meet y'all.

HAPPY SPRING!

• gardnpondr
    19 years ago

Hello from a little south of Hattiesburg....lol we've got a few Hattiesburg ones on here! ;)

• iris_lover
    19 years ago

Hello from Florence (just south of Jackson on Hwy 49)

• Sunshyne
    19 years ago

New to forums, and from Pass Christian, close to the beach.

I'm learning so much from all of you. Thanks!

• liz_beth
    19 years ago

Hi! Checking in from north Mississippi - Calhoun County, just south of Oxford. Noticed all the north Mississippians posted a while back!!

Would be nice to have a plant swap somewhere around Oxford/Batesville area, huh??

• eddie_ga_7a
    19 years ago

Pardon me, I'm not from Mississippi but when I saw the subject asking where Mississippi gardeners are - well, I thought the obvious; they're in Mississippi. I agree, I deserve to catch flack for that remark but I'm like the guy who said he had the right to remain silent, he just didn't have the ability.

• lisap1
    19 years ago

Hi!

I'm from Oxford. I want to know if anyone has tried transplanting Oleander outdoors. I have two large plants around my pool in pots. I took them to my office for the winter, but by this coming winter, they will just be too large. I would like to plant them outside, but don't know what to do to help them survive our winter. I also have Yucca Palm that I would like to plant outdoors. Does anyone have any idea whether it would survive a North Mississippi winter?

• autotetraploid
    19 years ago

In Columbus, MS there are some large Oleanders blooming well and they obviously have some serious age to them. But that was in town, out in the country where I live the winters are colder and my oleander regularly dies to the ground and almost never flowers. I suspect Oleander at Oxford is more at risk than it is down here.

• botanicalwonders
    19 years ago

Im from Greenville,MS and best friends with LBrazil in Tremont. I Love just about anything that he has and we have similar tastes in plants. He has helped me out greatly in starting my own Botanical Collection. I live in Fulton,Ms part of the year also.

• flowernanny70
    19 years ago

Hey,

I live between Tupelo and Saltillo. Just discovered the Garden web recently. I have a lot of flowering shrubs, annuals and perennials; also have a hobby greenhouse.

• mandy_g
    19 years ago

Hello,
    I'm from Tupelo! I'm new to the forum (only a couple of weeks) and am still trying to "weed" my way through. Glad to see a Mississippi thread!

• oldblush
    19 years ago

Hey Christel, I'm from Flora (just north of Jackson). I've been hanging around the Antique and other rose forums. Wow lots of Mississippians in this forum.

• ctbig
    19 years ago

im in horn lake, desoto county

• Glenn
    19 years ago

I'm in Memphis but consider Mississippi almost home. I'd love to have a plant swap next spring.
    Glenn

• plant_honey
    19 years ago

Hello from Picayune ms

• msdixi
    18 years ago

I am in Oxford and have a question. I kept elephant ears in pots all winter and the bulbs turned to mush. My neighbor has his inground and they come back every year. I am getting some jackson vine (smilax) from my sister and am scared of the same thing happening. Would it survive potted or do I need to put it in the ground? I want it to go up a trellis on the porch.

• ace1
    18 years ago

I'm in Nesbit - between Southaven and Hernando.

Kathy

• gardnpondr
    18 years ago

Old__Farmer, I hear there is a Tea Room in Wiggins, WHERE is it located? I go through there on my way to the coast sometimes to visit my family and I would like to check it out.

• jim2k
    18 years ago

I'm from vicksburg really oakridge just north of town.Jim

• skedwards
    18 years ago

Hello!! Between Smithville & Tremont in Northeast Mississippi. I'm a country girl and love it!!

• mourningglory30
    18 years ago

Clinton Mississippi, here.......I'm totally green when it comes to gardening, but I am interested in papaver somniferum(all colors-poppy) and orchids. Anyone have any experience growing poppies of the somniferum variety around here? I'd love to see some and maybe trade. Anyway, thanks.

• MississippiSkies
    18 years ago

My little cottage is in Collins, just above Hattiesburg.

• janean
    18 years ago

Hey!

Way up North here.......IUKA!

Not an master gardener by any means, but growing and learning. Been at it a long time. Yum, yum!

See a couple of you from Corinth...a stone's throw!

• steel
    18 years ago

hello
    from hattiesburg ....trying to get a bonsai club going

Here is a link that might be useful: bonsai club

• mit39042
    18 years ago

Checking in from Brandon, MS.
    Better late than never!

• lindamarie
    18 years ago

Hello....I am in Gallman....Hazlehurst mailing address....Interesting thread.....first time I have checked in this forum.

• rosebudms
    18 years ago

I'm in Tupelo. Am all excited today because I see lots of opening buds on my hawthorne bush... yes, I know it is flowering quince, but we always called it hawthorne.

• katiedidcottage
    18 years ago

Just crusin around GardenWeb and found this posting for Mississippi. I'm from Olive Branch, but since I couldn't find any Mississippi people, I have become involved with the Tennessee people. I'd love to get together for a swap anywhere from here to Jackson south and east or west to the borders. Anyone else interested for Spring 2006?

Here is a link that might be useful: My first attempt at a garden and other stuff

• taylo
    18 years ago

Count one more from Grenada. A plant swap would be wonderful.

• cgenecren
    18 years ago

Hello from Water Valley. Re bulbs freezing in pots; anything will freeze much more quickly in pots than in the ground. To solve this problem I bury many pots in my veg garden raised beds. This includes numerous cuttings in small pots. Works very well.
    cgenec

• crazy4daisies_2006
    17 years ago

Hi...I'm a new member checking in from Pope! (that's just south of Batesville)

• wendyfreed
    17 years ago

Hi, I'm from Long Beach and looking for ways to cheaply repair my landscaping and I noticed that all these posting were made pre 'Katrina'. Where is everybody now? Are you ready to re-landscape? Maybe we can get together for a plant trade here on the coast.If anybody is interested contact me at ezlyentertained@aol.com

• vancleaveterry
    17 years ago

Ocean Springs for now but soon in Vancleave on 32 acres. Mostly interested in trees, especially trees that can survive hurricanes. Planning to build a natural pond and eventually a koi pond. A bamboo forest would be nice and I want to learn about plants that attract birds.

• kchedville
    17 years ago

Hi GardenWebbers,
    KK, from Poplarville - forced relocation by way of Hurricane Katrina.

Here is a link that might be useful: Diane & KK's Tropical Place

• davidandkasie
    17 years ago

must have missed this thread before, i am from Greenville.

Sponsored
DryHome Roofing & Siding, Inc.
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars82 Reviews
Loudon Co. Roofing, Siding & Exterior Remodeler Best of Houzz 5 times!