Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
castorp

swept yards

castorp
18 years ago

I'm experimenting with a "swept" yard area in the back yard. I'm doing it partly because it seems practical, partly for nostaglic reasons.

It's practical because I have dwarf citrus planted in the area. They're not supposed to have mulch or grass or anything over the roots. I have to have paths all around them to pick the fruits anyway, and so it just kind of turned into a swept yard area. It's nostaligic because I'm from the deep rural south and when I was a kid I saw what I suppose where some of the very last swept yards in the area (South Georgia).

Anyway, I was wondering, Do any of you have any experience with swept yards? Are there any secrets to keeping one? Are there any problems with them that I need to be aware of?

I've done some searches but haven't found much information on them, mainly just a few nostalgia pieces. The main problem with them--mud, when it rains--is not a problem for me because I live on a hill of sugar sand. In fact I have exactly the opposite problem: when the sand is very dry it gets so loose it's like trying to walk on a sand dune. When there's enough rain it feels much more solid and is more pleasant to walk on. I'd like to think it will eventually pack down, but I don't think it ever will, it's so sandy.

The swept yards I remember from childhood were very clean and neat looking. They were so smooth and clean they really resembled a stone surface. My swept area was covered with mulch for a couple of years, and there are still bits of mulch and exposed rootlets of nearby palm trees. I'm hoping that with time it will have that clean stone-like look, even though it's sugar sand.

Right now I'm using an ordinary metal leaf-rake for the "sweeping." I think traditionally it was done with a bundle of branches. Will the rake do? I "sweep" about once a week. So far it's quite easy, takes no more time than mowing, but I'm still waiting to see if there are weed problems when the summer rains begin.

I'm interested any hearing anything you all know about swept yards--experiences and memories good and bad; how to keep one; things to beware of; etc.

Thanks,

Bill

Comments (7)

• rhizo_1 (North AL) zone 7
    18 years ago

Wind and water erosion are the only problems that come to mind.

Have you seen this interesting link? Having spent much of my adult life in the Lowcountry of SC, I am extremely fond of the swept yard. I have no personal experience to share with you, however.

Here is a link that might be useful: Follow me.....

• castorp
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Thanks for the wonderful link! I'll have to check out that book.

Yes, I'm concerned about the erosion. We have really strong summer downpours here. We've been having record droughts since I started sweeping, so I don't know what's going to happen. For the most part water seems to run straight through this sand. However when it's really dry water sometimes beads and runs off of it. I'm just going to keep an eye on it.

And Wind does affect the swept area. We've been having really strong winds. Although there's never been a "sand storm" or anything, the wind does smooth out the surface of the sand, the same way it does a sand dune.

I'm definitely going to keep my eye on it. I'm hoping that the spreading roots of the citrus and especially the cabbage palms will stabilize the sand.

Bill

• PRO
    Nell Jean
    18 years ago

The photos have been deleted from my web site that showed swept yards from the 1930-1940s. The yard had a cypress fence around it with a wide board at the bottome that kept the sand from washing away. A perimeter barrier of some kind -- fence, stones, liriope, narrow flower borders -- helps keep your surface stable. Otherwise, everything loose erodes when it rains.

You might look around for a bamboo rake. Not necessarily better but somewhat more authentic?

Nell

• sugarhill
    18 years ago

The swept yards I remember were swept with a straw broom. I think that's a lot of what gave them the smooth stone look. However, they weren't sand, so don't know if that would work for you. How neat that you're reviving the tradition.

• agnespuffin
    18 years ago

I don't know what type of sandy soil that you have, but in my area, walking on it makes the soil particles even smaller and more easily blown about. It's going to get tracked into your house. Very hard on the floors. It used to be that the yards were swept because people let the chicken run around the grounds. This kept the area clear of droppings. Also, kept down the weeds and "cleaned" the grounds just like the housewife cleaned her floors.

• catbird
    18 years ago

You might want to try some preemergent herbicide to keep weeds from seeding into the area. I'd be a little concerned, though, about lack of organic matter in the soil for your dwarf fruit trees.

I remember lots of swept yards in the country around my mother's home town in south Alabama. They were on hard-packed red clay, so they did get almost like stone on the surface, though they also tended to be muddy in wet weather. Many had stone walkways leading to the door to avoid tracking dirt or mud into the house. Brooms of straw or small twigs were used to clean them.

• athagan
    17 years ago

Maybe I'm not old enough to have seen them when they were still in wide spread use, but all of the swept yards I've ever seen were pretty small in size. Really just door yards large enough that if the brush/grass caught fire the house would not be endangered.

Swept yards are kinda hot in the summer since the heat reflects off the ground more and there isn't the cooling effect of the grass evaporating water.

The power lawn mower is really what put an end to the swept yard. They could easily handle the sorts of grass and weeds that the old non-powered style of mowers had trouble with.

Dust in the air and dirt in the house are also going to be problems with a bare dirt yard.

.....Alan.

Sponsored
Winks Remodeling & Handyman Services
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars1 Review
Custom Craftsmanship & Construction Solutions in Franklin County