Return to the Southern Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
planting for flagstone walkway

Posted by carole467 7b Alabama (My Page) on
Sat, Apr 24, 10 at 18:55

I hava a long walkway and was looking at blue star creeper but also read that it could go under the stones and become invasive.It is also fairly expensive. Does anyone have a suggestion, filtered sun,hopefully moderate to fast growth I have some dwarf mondo but it is painfilly slow, I may not live long enough to see it fill in.Thanks all.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: planting for flagstone walkway

I'm using mazus reptans/Mazus among my stepping stones. It spreads quickly and will take some sun but I don't know how invasive it might be as this is only my second year with it. I don't know how easy it will be to keep to a specfic area. It has a little bloom that looks like a tiny orchid and this spring, the plants between the stones was covered in the little blooms. Last summer, after planting it, it bloomed some but nothing like the spring show this year. It is easy to propagate by cuttings.

Here is what it looks like; it is the smaller ground cover in lower right hand corner. This small patch was started last summer from a few cuttings so you can see how quickly it grows.

Mary

o
RE: planting for flagstone walkway

I have mazus around a stepping stone path too. I have had it for about five years now. It is wonderful. It's evergreen, and stays very low, especially after blooming. It makes a very tight mat that keeps 99 percent of the weeds out.

It will take some sun as long as it never ever dries out. If it gets dry, it will go dormant or die. My well established areas seem to go dormant until the weather cools and the rain returns.

Once each year, I have to take my clippers and cut it away from the stones. When it has its big growth spurt in the spring it will spread right across the pavers. One trim a year takes care of it.

Since I don't want it in my planting beds, I also trim it back from them each year (but only once is needed). I keep thinking I will put in some edging to stop it....

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Southern Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here