Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
palustris81

Hydrangea paniculata alternatives

palustris81
16 years ago

Hello all, I designed a full sun southern exposure garden for my brother in Fayetteville, AR (Zone 7a). Though I live in the north I have worked to specify plants I felt confident in for such conditions and by viewing what was thriving in Fayetteville. However I specified Hydrangea paniculata 'Limelight' for a few spots for the great summer and early fall flowers. However nurseries in AR have not heard of the cultivar and keep saying Hydrangea paniculata in full sun there is a bad idea (we always put them in full sun here in Cincinnati-zone 6a). Any alternatives you can suggest for a similar full look in the 5-6' range; nurseries suggested Caryopteris (too spindly and diminutive) or Abelia (too delicate and subtle). Is there a smaller sized Vitex or Buddleia that may work? CLethra in full southern sun? I look forward to your responses. Thank you for helping an Ohioan who is out of his element.

Comments (4)

• Iris GW
    16 years ago

Bottlebrush buckeye or Fothergilla major. Clethra can take full sun if it is moist enough.

• Donna
    16 years ago

I think there is a translation of what your nurserymen told your brother. They didn't really mean "Limelight won't grow here." What they meant was "We don't carry it. Pick something else." :)

I have had Limelight for several years and it does very well here in east central Mississippi. Mine gets at least six hours of sun a day and is in a southern exposure, though it is protected from the hottest western afternoon sun. AND it's under some water-sucking trees to boot. If he can't find Limelight, Hydrangea paniculata "Tardiva" is beautiful too(in someways even nicer than Limelight), and will take full sun. If it grows here, I should think it's got to grow for your brother in Arkansas.

• palustris81
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Donnabaskets,
    Thanks for the advice; I have noticed that the nursery i work at always makes excuses for why we don't carry plants when sometimes there is no reason! I have always loved 'Tardiva' but my sister in law really desires the thicker bloom head the 'Limelight' provides.
    As for earlier suggestions for Clethra and bottlebrush buckeye, they are good things to consider, though a bit more wild looking than the homeowners desire.
    Thanks and keep the replies coming

• Donna
    16 years ago

Here are some other ideas for late summer/autumn shrubs:
    Hibiscus syriacus (Rose of Sharon)
    Camellia sasanqua (Yuletide and Kanjiro are larger plants, Shishigashira and Hot Flash are much smaller. All are good.) And are evergreen.
    I grow Mahonia "Winter Sun" in full sun and I really like it. It's very architectural in form, and the fall into winter yellow flowers, followed by the blue berries are stunning. This is also evergreen.
    I also grow Kosteleskya "Immaculate", which is a large herbaceous perennial. It blooms for 3 weeks or so in August, and is just stunning. The blooms look like small hibiscus blooms. It likes full sun and moist soil. Otherwise, it's very easy.

Of course, you could also use the everblooming hydrangeas, Endless Summer and Blushing Bride. They have become some of my very favorite plants, and really do bloom from about May until frost for me.

If she would settle for spring bloom, there are many types of Snowball Bushes (Viburnums) that would certainly fill the bill.

Sponsored