Return to the Southern Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
My Climbing New Year Roses look bad

Posted by heidiho St. Martinville, La. (My Page) on
Sat, Apr 14, 12 at 21:58

Don't know what happened to my Climbing New Year Rose this year. Last month it looked liked something was chewing up the leaves so I sprayed with Malathion and now I have a few sad looking roses but still not much leaves and the buds look eaten up before they bloom. Don't know how to post photo of these bad roses; sorry
Thanks for any advice you can give.
Have a nice day.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: My Climbing New Year Roses look bad

Are the buds gone or just have holes in them? Deer will eat rose buds and leaves. Earwigs and rose slugs will put holes in buds.

o

• Posted by heidiho St. Martinville, La. (My Page) on
    Sun, Apr 15, 12 at 22:34

No deer around here.
I thought the Malathion would have taken care of any bugs. The buds are not gone but they do have holes and blackish looking.
Thanks

o

You really shouldn't apply any kind of pesticide without knowing what the pest is. Malathion is a broad spectrum contact pesticide that has no residual effect. This means that the product can't control anything that doesn't actually come into direct contact with it while it is still wet.

It's a cholinesterase inhibitor, by the way. Should be used only with extreme caution.

o

• Posted by heidiho St. Martinville, La. (My Page) on
    Mon, Apr 16, 12 at 7:59

Thanks for the information. Have a nice week.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Southern Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here