Return to the Southern Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Dwarf Alberta spruce trees

Posted by crazy4life z7 NC (My Page) on
Mon, Apr 24, 06 at 22:44

Hi folks,
We planted some Albertas 7 years ago...last year they started to turn brown and this year they are worse looking(sob).We're thinking mites are bugging them so been using Seven on them but they still look brown...they are in front of our houses foundation and porch.what other type of small and medium evergreen can we plant if we lose the Alberta's?Looking for low matinance ,full sun or shade(house is half sun/shade)a nice shape and pest free,any Ideas?
Thanks ):

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Dwarf Alberta spruce trees

I have a hunch that your problem with the Albertas is your climate. These spruces are native to Alberta, Canada where it is cool/cold and moist. Here in central Virginia the climate is like yours...hot and mostly dry. I have found that Hick's Yew, a variety of Taxus media, to be a satisfactory substitute as long as it is wind-protected and assured of adequate drainage. Your local nusery can probably suggest several very good substitutes.
Good Luck!!!

o
RE: Dwarf Alberta spruce trees

• Posted by nelson 7b in Alabama (My Page) on
    Sat, Apr 29, 06 at 23:48

I agree with "taxonomist" about the climate factor - I'm only surprised they lasted 7 years. Every nursery here in my zone 7b/8a climate sells them, and they're doomed to a slow, miserable death from our heat & humidity.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Southern Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here