Return to the Southern Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Daffodils

Posted by sunshine_hs NC (My Page) on
Tue, Apr 1, 08 at 22:50

Last Spring I did something silly - I cut down the daffodil leaves after the flowers bloomed but while the leaves were still green. I didn't realize that this would cause them not to flower this year. Will they ever flower again - or are they done for? If so - I will dig them up and replace in the Fall.

Thanks so much!
Heather

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Daffodils

Oophs. You might want to turn under some bone meal in the soil for the bulbs you cut back. I know they look kind of ugly when they are dying back, but that's where they get their energy from to produce in the years to come.

Here is a link that might be useful: Propagating Perennials

o

Will they ever flower again? Yes, they will. They should be sending up foliage this year. Leave that in place so that they gather some energy this year and they should bloom fine next year.

o

esh is correct. As long as they came up this year and put out foliage, they'll bloom in the future. Our local radio garden guru recommends giving bulbs a shot of bulb food or bone meal in the fall about the time you would normally be planting new bulbs and then again as they begin to emerge in January or so. I tried it this year and had the loveliest daffodils ever. I know they'll bloom if you don't fertilize, but since yours have had a hard year, they might appreciate the boost next year.

o

Heather, The foliage does get ratty, so have you considered planting something with them. That's what alot of gardeners do. I've planted daylillies, and once the daffs start to wither, the daylillies should be big enough to hide them a good bit. You could also plant any other annual or perennial that should be big enough to hide the dying foliage. Look around your area this spring (now) and see what other folks have come up with. You can even put other (summer-blooming) bulbs in with them.
Laurie

o

If they're in the lawn you can gently braid the leaves after they've become floppy--so that you can mow around them.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Southern Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here