Return to the Southern Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
growing cactus in northern georgia.

Posted by dirtaddshp northern georgia (My Page) on
Wed, Apr 11, 07 at 23:10

Does the weather and soil support it? i grow alot of cactus here in southern california but im wondering if i can in Northern Georgia.

Thanks!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: growing cactus in northern georgia.

anyone?

o

Haven't tried it myself, but I've seen several examples of agaves, yuccas, and even prickly pears growing around the Atlanta area. I'm from San Diego, so it always makes me happy to see them. I'd expect that you'd need to do some darn good soil amending to provide them enough drainage here, since we get about 5 times more rain than Southen California. But I'm a novice to the whole gardening scene, so perhaps someone more experienced has better information for you...?

o

bump

o

You'll have a lot more luck getting answers if you post this on the Georgia Gardeners forum. I don't grow cacti, so don't know the answer. Here are some things to consider: the soil here is heavy, heavy clay - that doesn't sound good for a cactus; north Georgia is zone 7 so temperatures can easily drop to 10 degrees F - doesn't sound too good for a cactus; in a normal year we get slightly more rain than Seattle; 70% humidity is not unusual. And now that I think about it, I have never seen a nursery selling cactus. The other consideration is that a cactus looks out of place with gardenia and mountain laurel and dogwood and pine trees by the millions. Check the UGA web site and see what they have. I couldn't find much there about cacti.

o

Forgot to tell you, dirtaddshp, that what you call northern Georgia we call North Georgia (or sometimes the North Georgia mountains - not that we have mountains anywhere besides North Georgia). It's pronounced Nuwth JELW-ja. You'll need to know that when you get here.:)

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Southern Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here