Return to the Southern Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Epsom salt on plants

Posted by angel123 z8 (pop741.1@netzero.com) on
Mon, Apr 26, 04 at 23:17

I heard that Epsom salts are good for plants and vegatables. How much do yall use on plants and veggies? On my veggies and plants do i sprinkle epsom salts around the roots, Do i put on as a foiler spray on the leaves or just the roots. Please explain!!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Epsom salt on plants

I use it on my garden plants. There are directions on the pkg, but generally I use 2 Tbsp in a gallon of water and let it dissolve. Then saturate the roots of the plants. You can use this on your lawn,, tomatoes, roses, trees and houseplants. It is not harmful to get it on the leaves either.

It says you can apply the salts at the base of plants and then water, but I prefer the dissolved method.

Brugs especially love this! They will get very green after a treatment.

Then after a hard day in the garden, soak your feet in a nice hot tub with epsom salts....wonderful!
(or even take a bath in it yourself)

o

Anyone have advice on the application of epsom salt on palms and cycads? I remember hearing that one cup of salt dissolved in one gallon of water applied twice per year was beneficial for palms, but too scared to try it. Thanks.

o

Can i use this on shrubs. I have some boxwoods that are turning yellow.

o

Beachcat, 1 cup sounds like a very strong concentration. I would stick with the smaller amt & feed every few weeks.

The shrubs would most likely benefit from the "Magnesium Sulfate". Sometimes yellowing can be caused by using chlorinated water to feed. Or it can be caused by either a calcium or iron deficiency in the soil.

To add calcium, I would save my eggshells and crumble them and add them to the top of the soil beneath the shrubs. The iron can be added by placing a few rusty nails near the shrubs. And simply let water stand overnite in the watering can to permit the chlorine to evaporate before using it. Either that or use rain water or well water.

I do not know of any plants that would not benefit from the use of epsom salts in a small amount.

o

I recently went to a plant swap and one of the gardeners brought several Brugs he had started from cuttings. He grows them and tropicals. I asked him about the ones I had where the leaves were yellowing or not a dark green. He said to mix 5 tbs Epson salts with 5 gallons of water. Once a month water the base of the plant with about 1 1/2 gal of the mixture. Sorry, don't know about other plants.
Lynn in Prattville, Al

o

I agree a cup of magnesium to a gallon of water seems a bit much. I am not sure I agree with the rusty nails adding iron to the soil. Ask your County Extension Agent about that and let us all know if they agree. I wonder how much calcium (lime) eggshells provide?

o

I find if you feed the brugs enough, they don't get yellow leaves. I feed mine a handful of alfafa pellets once every two weeks, when I feed the roses.

GGG

o

Whoa! So glad I asked about the solution strength. Many thanks.

o

I have been scratching in ONE CUP of Epsom Salts around each rose bush and camellia bush for years. Water in really well and it makes strong stems and healthy bushes.
It's never hurt any of my plants and the ones who didn't receive it didn't do half as well.

Coleen

o

To put epsom salts on palms, you use 1 cup per inch diameter of the trunk, and sprinkle it from the trunk out to the drip line. We do it twice a year here in Florida, and also use Manganese on our Queen Palms to prevent frizzle top.

o

I use 1 tablespoon per foot of height on my gardenias, keeps the leaves from yellowing. I 3 tblsp on each of my roses to promote branching.

o

• Posted by mcldml z4 MN/Z9 season (My Page) on
    Sat, Jan 15, 05 at 18:52

Do all houseplants take well to epsom salt?
I have alot of houseplants and sure would like to give it a try.

o

• Posted by jim2k mississippi (My Page) on
    Mon, Jan 17, 05 at 12:02

Old nails,metal shaveings,steelwool works on anything that needs iron fruit,nut trees, roses any bush.I use a gal.jug steel wool fill with water let stand for 4 to 5 days or until water is red rusty looking use gal.on trees about 1/2 cup on bush and roses.I use 2tbs Epson salt per gt.water around bush and roses.hope this helps JIM

o

I have just read this thread. I think I am the one to whom Lynn in Prattville, AL referred. One tablespoon to a gallon of water is a good formula for potted plants. For larger trees and plants, there is a different formula. Apply I tablespoon per square foot of soil within the drip line. The drip line is the outside edge of you plant. If you stood under it after a rain and shake the tree or bush, where is the outside edge where the drops fall off the leaves. That can be calculated by the formula for Area=Pi x (Radius x Radius). If you have an azalea that is rounded in form and is 6 feet wide then you would calculate as follows. A=3.14 (Pi which is a geometric constant) x 3 x 3. in this case A=3.14 x 9 = 28.26. Mix 28 gallons of water with 28 tablespoons of water and water the roots under the plant. Or, sprinkle that amount of Epsom salts under the plant and water well. So ... I often feed my potted plants with a tablespoon of Epsom salts and water well. The tablespoon per gallon is a general rule of thumb for those folks who are a little hesitant about using Epsom salts. Epsom salts are very good to stimulate okra, tomatoes and beans to flower again in the late summer. It will green-up your yellowing plants and stimulate blooms. I use it in combination with a tablespoon per pot of super phosphate. Super phosphate and Epsom salts are good to use on annual bloomers like azaleas, saucer magnolias, ornamental trees (crabapples, dogwoods, etc.) after they bloom in the spring and again about June 1. It helps grow and set flower buds for next year's blooms.

o

I don't know the protocol of this board yet, can I refer you to web page epsomsaltcouncil.org?

Up north, the garden writers would advise giving roses a small amount in the spring. They cautioned that it is a salt, & that too much was worse than too little.

I had clay soil, bad back & limited time, so could not scratch in. So my highly scientific method was to fling 1 handful of epsom salt over mulch over root system of each rose once in spring. Seemed to help. However, I did not conduct any controlled experiments by witholding from some plants.

o

I'm still a little confused as to which plants you use Empson salts. I've seen roses, trees, shrubs, house plants, the lawn listed but would you use it on annuals like impatients, marigolds, petunias, ect? And if so, could you add a tblsp or 2 to the hole when planting?
Thanks,

o

• Posted by Shufly 8 Coastal N.Car (My Page) on
    Fri, Feb 4, 05 at 13:11

Most epsom salt containers have the plant dosage printed on them it is one tbs. per gal. of water.
I apply it to (all) my plants twice a year including my palms .

o

• Posted by Maryl Z7 Okla. (My Page) on
    Fri, Feb 4, 05 at 20:15

I hate to be negative about Epsom salts, but as a rose grower I've heard about using it for years. I have never seen one whit of difference in my roses over 20 years of rose growing when I use it or when I don't. I learned that it's not the same kind of salt as what's in table salt, so build up isn't a biggie (if you use minimum amounts), but still as one who pampers her roses, no difference here. Zip, nada. May be that my amended clay soil doesn't require it. For roses 1/4 cup scattered around the bush and watered in twice a year is what is usually recommended.

o

Thanks for posting this topic. Now I can't wait to use the stuff!! I've never been a big fan of commercial fertilizers, which often seem to do more harm than good, but from what I've read here regarding Epsom Salts giving them a try won't hurt and may possibly help my struggling Camellias and Fringe Tree.

Thanks for the info.

o

This is straight from epsomsaltcouncil.org : "Studies show that magnesium and sulfur, two components of Epsom Salt may:
Help seeds germinate
Make plants grow bushier
Produce more flowers
Increase chlorophyll production
Improve phosphorus and nitrogen uptake
Deter pests, including slugs and voles"

I never used it before, but I plan to give it a try to green up a few shrubs.

o

Does epsom salt change the pH of the soil?

o

The great thing about epsom salts is that after a long day of working in the garden you can add a cup or two to a hot bath and soak all your aches and pains away. I'm always amazed at how great I feel the day after an epsom salts bath. Most of us in the US have a diet that's deficient in magnesium and soaking in epsom salts allows you to absorb it very efficiently. We need it much more than our plants do!

Here's a link in case you're interested in more opinions about it:

Here is a link that might be useful: epsom salts bath testimonial

o
Epsom salt on humans

One time I got the Springtime coughing and it wouldn't go away. Went to doctor for antibiotics, etc. My neighbor said in the old days they put as much epsom salts as you could hold on a dime in a glass of water and drink it every day for a few to "clean" out the system. I tried it and did not upset my stomach. However, I have found that tupelo honey is the best tonic in the Spring when the pollen is out. A tablespoon cures you, and if that doesn't do it, another tablespoon the next day surely with heal any sinus, or lung problem.

o

Hello Everyone-

I realize I'm a bit late to be chiming in on the subject, but I wanted to put my vote in for epsom salts for plants. I use it on everything from plumeria to geraniums, bananas & bird of paradise to azaleas & impatiens, agapanthus to miniature limes & tangerines to palms- king, queen, majestic & phoenix, japanese boxwood & gardenias to fuchsias & cannas, staghorn fern & boston fern to ficus, schefflera, gerbera daisy & petunias to name a few. I forgot jasmine & mandevilla. I use 2 generous tblspns per 2.5 gallon watering can (dissolved). I also use it inside on draceana- including the "corn plant" type. And pothos and Christmas & Easter Cactus, Same mixture indoors & out. Thanks for the opportunity to share-
Peace,
kenya1

...and my lawn

o

Sorry- I forgot to add that my plants are all doing very well, with some thanks to my epsom salts regimen, which I feed my plants every 2-3 weeks. Thanks again.
Peace,
kenya1

o

Another BIG hint - if you like to save money and are cheap like me - don't buy your epsom salts in the garden center, buy them in the bath and beauty section. In WalMart, KMart, Target, etc., the epsom salts in the garden center run $1-2 more per bag than the same exact size bag in with the deoderant, razor blades and shampoo!

o

I am glad I found this string. Does anyone know if about putting epsom salts around caladiums? I am battling snails and slugs with beer. But I have been wondering about sprinkling epsom salts around or diluting it and watering with it. Would this help? Any advice is appreciated.

Thanks!
Tracy, Pelham, AL

o

Question for anyone: can you add epsom salts in addition to regular fertilizer (I currently use Osmocote and, on some plants, when blooming, super bloom). Newbie question. Thanks.

o

I can attest that the epsom salt may be a slug deterent. I sprinkled some around my lilies and they came up whole and are big strong plants. Normally they get eaten down by slugs as they come up. I don't think I used slug bait and it's a very sluggy area. I am sprinkling the epsom salt around my new seedlings in the vegie garden and it seems to be keeping the slugs away too. In fact, better than the slug bait is doing. But I have to reapply after a heavy rain.

o

Can I put the water with Epsom salt that I have soaked my feet in around the vegetables in the garden? How about the roses and other flowers?

o

I was wondering if I could use it on a potted lemon tree? I do use it in my vegtable garden and it has always helped there.

o

I also use epsom salt on my plants. I put it on all plants lol. Just mix 1 tbsp per gallon with warm water and mix well to dissolve it all. Then you can add your other water fertilizer solution as well. Works like a charm to green up leaves and the plants really seem to like it. I do it about once a month. Too much of any one element can cause an imbalance in other nutrients.

o

I have several roses that are here from previous owner they are looking pretty worn lately. Will epson salt help even at this part of the year or do I need to cut them back and plan the salt next spring?

o

Epsom salts is a great, cheap source of magnesium. Use it with care, though. As with any fertilizer, the best way to determine magnesium needs is to have your soil tested. A safe, lower tech approach is to use a good fertilizer with micronutrients (or minor elements) that includes magnesium. Alternatively, apply epsom salts in moderation with your N-P-K applications. I have seen reports that too much magnesium can inhibit a plant's ability to absorb potassium from the soil resulting in a postassium deficiency. Like any fertilizer salt, an excess of epsom salts can damage roots.

o

I have been told that epsom salt helps the plant take up
and use other nutritients in the soil. More useful uptake
of fertilizer, iron, etc.

o

I just learned about Epsom salts recently and put about 1/2 a cup in a gallon of water and soaked the pot holding a dying Madagascar palm which had some kind of black rot in the growing crown preventing all new growth and slowly killing the plant. I had given up hope but three days after giving it Epsom salts it is starting to put out new healthy green growth from the crown! I had re-potted the plant into new potting mix twice after washing the roots and sterilizing the pot. But nothing worked until I used the Epsom salts.

I also gave some to my healthy Madagascar palm in a pot as well as my fishtail palms in the garden. The fishtails had been getting yellow steaks and the ends of the older leaves were dying too fast. Hopefully the Epsom salts will fix those problems.

I'm going to try soaking steel wool in water to make rust to feed the palms with too.

o

• Posted by mgmb z5 Madison WI (My Page) on
    Sat, Feb 23, 08 at 9:43

I'm not a southerner, but I just got some advice about epsom salts on a different thread, and I thought I would reply to this thread to "resurrect" it to the top of the list since it seems to have a lot of good info, and even a note about tupelo honey, which any Van Morrison fan will appreciate!

o

how much epsom salt to use on boston fern if using it in dry form as a top dressing?

o

Here's a pic of my grugs on epsom salt.
Photobucket

o

'On Epsom Salts' - sounds like a 12 step program.

o

An interesting & informative thread. Bought a bag of epsom salt today in Wally World, near the drug section. Then I find this thread tonight. What about using epsom salt on orchids?

o

MY Bathtub is outside in my yard and drains into the ground. I was worried about using epson salt and having it drain into the ground. I use the water in my garden. Now I find out it is a definite plus YEAAAAA!!! One note, I was rooting a double pink brug cutting and I dropped a few grains in to the cutting water and the brug cutting wilted and the stem turned to mush very quickly. the same day I put some grains in the brugs growing out side and they are fine. Interesting about the tomatoes. I am having some problems with blossom drop. I will apply some ES.

o

Hi. This may seem a strange question, but has anyone with reptiles tried this? I have large tortoises roaming my yard and I am very careful what I use. Thank you.

o

I have been putting it on all of my plants -- about a tablespoon sprinkled at the base every other week, then watered in. With our extreme heat, the more the merrier to give the plants a boost.

o

I also have used epson salt on plants greens up ferns quickly.But i am thrilled to hear that it may deter those pesky voles.If anyone know of any thin else to get rid of those awful critters I will be right on it. I so far have vibrating rods in the ground. Came home one day and beautiful fatsia was cut off at the ground.
Hope this was not too long.

o

On a recent episode of the Volunteer Gardener program that is on NPT (Nashville Public Television), they had a "recipe" to amend the hole when planting Tomatoes:
1 cup Bone Meal, 1 cup Greensand, 1 tablespoon Epsom Salts, and 1 tablespoon Blood Meal. Mix the 4 ingredients, and then mix with the garden soil in the hole when planting. (use the entire recipe for ONE tomato plant)

The next time I plant Tomatoes, I am going to test that on a few plants, to see if I observe a noticeable difference.

o

The chemical composition of salt is NaCl and MgSO4 is magnesium sulphate or Epsom Salts, 2 very different compounds. I understand some NaCl salts are used to prevent growth of vegetation, so I would be very sure you know what type of salt is used in your pool before you start sprinkling it on your garden.

o

Wow..got to know soo much about Epsom Salt but please can any one tell me where do we get this? like in which stores?
I want to use them on my rose, tomato, pepper and other flowering plants.
Thanks,
MSVK

o

MSVK, you can buy epsom salt in one to four pound containers at drug stores or the drug section of grocery stores where it is sold as a bath salt. A good soak in epsom salts is thought to be good for sore muscles.

Or for agricultural use you can get a feed store to order it in 50 lb. bags for less than $20.

o

At this point my pepper plants are seedlings in very small pots.

Would someone please suggest at what point epsom salt should be added to promote growth.

Thanx guys.

o

It is easy: if your soil is magnesium-deficient, Epsom salts help greatly, since without magnesium chlorophyll can't form - its synthesis requires an atom of magnesium to every chlorophyll geme ring. That said, required amounts of magnesium are still very low compared say to N-P-K. A soil has to be fairly depleted to come to a magnesium deficit. Iron and sulfur are also a must to complete the photosynthetic electron transfer chain, but their required levels are even lower and hardly ever absent from average fertile soil. With sulfur, unlike most other "micronutrients", a risk of overdosage also exists.

o

I work in a kitchen and I save my egg shells. I go through about 6 cases a week (13doz per case). When I have a stinky stockpile of shell, I roast them off 500F until you cant take the smell anymore. Believe me you are making manerur. Then I smash them down. It helps break them up because the roasting makes them brittle. I also save my wood chips from the smoker and charcoal from the bbq's. I read somewhere that this is really good for nitrogen. Believe me. This stuff works. My garden, the greenhouse at work, and everyone that I gave "the goods" too have been shocked at how well they are doing... Add in some bat guana and worm casing... some nightcrawlers from my local bait and tackle store...and we are in buisness. I have been struggling with one gardenia plant in particular. A lot of unopened buds, and a ton of yellow leaves. I am about to try the Epsom salt treatmeant in the morning. I have been adding my coffee grounds and old coffee for the past few days and now I have more flowers open at one time than ever before and more than just one or two. There is still some yellow but not as bad. Hopefully the 1gal to 1 T ratio will work. Thanks for the heads up.

o

My saga palms love it!!! I use 2 tablespoons dissolved in 1 gallon of warm water.

o

I use 1 tablespoon of Epson Salts mixed with a high nitrogen fertilizer every time I feed my palms.

o

I have used epsom salt in Sc around my roses for 30 years. I just dig about 1 inch down and around the rose buses and put alot of epsom salt in, and cover with dirt, then wood chips. never lost a rose, do this about twice a year.as far as slugs and cut worms, i had them bad around my dihlias, started putting dried out crumbled egg shells, no more problems. this apparently cuts the worms and slugs as they crawl over, and they die. also have found that non stop begonias love used coffee grounds, and egg shells applied to the soil. they have bloomed more beautiful and fuller this year than ever.

o

also, epsom salt is cheap. you can buy a box of it at any dollar store for a buck, goes a long way, and its awesome to take a bath in too. to take out soreness of muscles. mportant thing most ppl dont realize is, this is not like regular salt !!!!!!!!! I put it on everything !!!!!! and i have huge flower beds, and vegetable gardens. Ive had better results with this than miracle grow (which i loved !!!!!).

o

Bumping this.

And if you guys remember while shopping at Walmart, go to the health and beauty section for Epsom salt. There is a 2lb carton for sale in that section for 88 cents. It is blue and green. Fantastic deal! :)

o

Carole457

Castor Oil will make the voles (and moles) leave your garden. Gardens Alive has a dry product that you scatter around, I think they advertize it for moles, but the voles left when I used it. I pour a little liquid castor oil in any hole I found, and sprinkled it on any plant they had attacked. (I will do that from now on)

I currently have no apparent voles. You can spray with castor oil adding a bit of dish detergent to the bottle to make it stick.

kay

o

I would like to know is Epsom salt good to remove pests from the red currant Plant and fruit or does anyone know what else works

o

• Posted by tskn none (My Page) on
    Sun, Apr 27, 14 at 13:14

does it work on succulents and agave attenuata?

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Southern Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here