Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
cajunmama_gw

Louisiana gardeners, where are you?

cajunmama
18 years ago

Loved Christel's post on Miss. gardeners and saw the great response. I'm in Carencro just north of Lafayette and would love to know where fellow La. gardeners are chiming in from La. on the gardenweb site. Always looking for locals to chat gardening with and possible trading/swapping.

Cindy (cajunmama)

Comments (38)

• jeff_al
    18 years ago

there is a forum for the combined states of louisiana and mississippi. have you visited that one?

Here is a link that might be useful: louisiana and mississippi gardening

• cajunmama
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Thanks Jeff. Familiar with that forum just not as many posts it seems. Thanks for responding and I'll try there. Happy gardening.
    cajunmama

• bayou10
    18 years ago

Hi-Cajunmama.
    I'm new here, but am checking the forums nearly everyday.
    I'm east of BR and will be happy to chat gardening with you on the Louisiana/Mississippi forum anytime.
    Bayou10

• dannyboquet
    18 years ago

Hello Cajunmama. We live in Houma. I also have Cajun heritage as well as French and English (so you see I'm pretty messed up ;-) ). I usually lurk on the fruit and orchards, tractor, and Louisiana/Mississippi forums. You are right in the LA/MS forum has been pretty quiet lately. My sister-in-law just moved back to Thibodaux from Carencro. Carencro is a nice town. I am interested in fruits of all kinds and have planted quite a bit (too much if you ask my wife) in the two years that we have lived in our current home. I always wanted to stop at Durion's (Louisiana Nursery) in Opelousas. Have you been there? Do they have much in the way of tropical fruit? I also want to go to Banting's in Bridge City, now that I know they exist.

• cajunmama
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Danny
    Been to La. Nursery and it was okay I guess. I think they do most of their business via internet or at least it seemed that way. You kind of had to dig around. I bought 2 satsumas and a Port Wine Banana Magnolia. I found it to be a bit on the pricey side too.
    Bantings however is the bomb! They have a terrific selection of many types of plants, is well layed out and very helpful staff. I used to go there often when I lived in N.O. and think it is worth the trip.

• Django
    18 years ago

The LA & MS forum is a little slow at times. Before all of the regional forums this forum was as crowded as the Antique Rose forum (man, that place moves fast). The regional forums have spread us all out, but we are still here. I check the forums in a certain rotation depending on whatever kick that I am on: five years ago - ornamental grasses, last year - cannas, this year - palms.

• jap373
    18 years ago

Jane in Baton Rouge, here. I'm like y'all -- prefer this one to the LA/MS forum, but I guess if we *all* moved there it would see some action, right??

Love my suburban garden. Focused right now on tempting the hummingbirds. I think I've added about a dozen hummer plants this year so far! And I had them for a couple of weeks in early May, but they're gone! Not a feather in about 3 weeks :-( I'm keeping my feeders clean though just in case. My motherinlaw outside Natchitoches said the same thing (no hummers). While I was at her house last week, I saw a brilliant male ruby-throat--he ignored all of her feeders and other plants, went straight to the shrimp plant, and then buzzed away!

Eating fresh tomatoes, cukes, zucchini, potatoes, onions, carrots from the garden. Enjoying many flowers...

Heading to Abbeville tomorrow (6/4) for the Daylily Festival and Sunday will take the pond tour here in Baton Rouge.

--Jane

Here is a link that might be useful: see some of my garden

• glenn9643
    18 years ago

Monroe.

• jmoore79
    18 years ago

I'm in Broussard. This is my FAVORITE time of the year because school is out (I'm a teacher) and I have all day to play in my yard! Not to mention I have an AWESOME nursery near my house (Girourd's). I just posted in the La/Miss forum so maybe some of you could help me?

• lisa455
    18 years ago

Hey, jmoore - I answered on the other forum. I live in Thibodaux, LA. As far as the Louisiana iris, if you can get some for free for the shade, try it out, they have beautiful foliage in the shade but they don't bloom. If you remind me in a month or so, I can probably send you the yellow flag iris seeds that you can plant. I prefer their foliage to the Louisianas.

• virginia34
    18 years ago

Louisiana garrdeners, I need help. No response to my zinnia bed.

• jmoore79
    18 years ago

Lisa - Thanks for the offer! That would be great. I've never planted anything in my yard from seed before, but I'd love to try it. Thank you so much for your help.

• pinkie_z8ala
    18 years ago

I'm way up "north" in Shreveport.
    I wondered what was (or wasn't) going on with the Louisiana/Mississippi Forum. I check it and this forum a few times each week, but now that I have two jobs, my free time is pretty limited.

• daveandlaura
    18 years ago

Covington.

• katladie
    18 years ago

Hi Cindy,

I am from French Settlement, about 60 miles north of New Orleans and 17 miles east of Gonzales.

Still doing a lot of fixing up on my 2 acres. Heavy clay soil, and all of my beds will have to be redone this fall or spring. They are not draining well enough and I have lost a lot of things since the rain.

Nice to see so many fellow Louisianians out there.

Sharon

• cajunmama
    Original Author
    18 years ago

jmoore
    I think the yellow flag (great suggestion) would do great for you in that spot. The water oak will be just leafing out when this iris is blooming in April here so sun isn't as much of an issue as with summer blooming plants and it is a water lover. I have tons of this plant to share if you want, just email me. I have it planted under pecan trees and water oaks and it blooms faithfully. Just let me know as I am digging some this weekend for a friend.

• southern_bell_la
    18 years ago

sibley, ( close to shreveport ) i have been gardening for just a short while but i'm really hooked. i love the gardenweb and all the useful information i've gotten from the forums. i have tried my hand at winter sowing for the past 2 years with fairly good results. i'm mainly focusing on perennials as i have a huge yard to fill. growing from seed has helped me fill alot of space in a short time and for little money. anyone that's interested should check out the winter sowing forum.

• nanaboo
    18 years ago

I live in Baton Rouge, originally from French Settlement. I grow registered daylilies, plumbago, min. roses, mock orange, amarylis, caladiums, azaleas, ferns, hoya, altheas. I take lots of daylily digital pictures during the blooming season, and send out a daily "Lily Hot Mail" picture to my friends and garden club members. When I run out of daylily pictures, I take pictures of any blooms I notice along my way.

• drasaid
    18 years ago

if in town give me a call.
    You may run with scissors on my patio, if I am at home.

• patricko
    18 years ago

Metaire here. I grow mainly Louisiana irises. Also ferns, gingers, and assorted other stuff.

Patrick

• Blossom8b
    18 years ago

Hi, I'm in Baton Rouge and also haven't seen any "Hummers" in weeks. Glad to know it's not just my yard!
    I've recently gotten into gardening with a passion and am mostly planting Perennials but I need suggestions for a tall plant to put behind a new sugar kettle fountain we're putting in next to our patio. The fountain rim is about 2 ft off the ground. I was thinking a plant with a height of about 3 to 4 ft. Maybe a Yellow Flag Iris or a Crocosmia "Lucifer". I've never grown either of these and would like to hear any pros or cons on either one. Also any other ideas. Thanks

• myrtleplace
    18 years ago

Lafayette!!!!!!!!!!

• HanArt
    18 years ago

Blossom, too bad you didn't post a few days ago. I just dug up and tossed a huge pile of crocosmia. Those things multiple like rabbits. I'm sure I haven't seen the last of them.

I'm also in BR and hosting plenty of Ruby-throateds. Haven't seen a Buff-bellied since spring.

• sinner_gurl
    18 years ago

I am currently near the Lake Charles area but will be moving to New Iberia in about a month. I grow lots of tropicals and like to experiment with new ways to grow things. Great to see so many Louisianans!!

• LISACAPPEL
    18 years ago

I had tons of humming birds this year. Last year as well. I planted firecracker bushes in my back yard and have some cape honeysuckles. They love both. Firecracker bushes spread rather quickly so pick a spot that has room for this or trim back each year. I'm in Slidell by the way

• sdogwood
    18 years ago

Lake Charles!

• wallenda
    18 years ago

Another Lafayette!

• cajunmama
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Sinner gurl
    Drop me an email when you move - I'm in New Iberia all of the time as it is my home town even though I no longer live there.
    cajunmama

• louisiana_girl
    18 years ago

Zwolle,on Toledo Bend Lake
    louisiana_girl

• KarynLA
    18 years ago

Deep Country between Oakdale and Ville Platte

• Blossom8b
    18 years ago

Anybody in Baton Rouge know of an area garden club that meets regularly? I'm a member of Hilltop Arboretum but would also like to join a regular garden club.

• sassy270380
    18 years ago

hi cajunmamma
    i am from morgan city la.

• idogcow
    18 years ago

I'm from Washinton Parish, in between Folsom and Franklinton.
    We have an acre of blueberries. I'm big into growing fruit, especially weird stuff like Jujubes, Pawpaws, and Kiwis. I started a veggie garden last year and got so into it that I want to make it a market garden as soon as I can actually grow something successfully. I'm especially into sustainable growing.

I would love to get to know other Louisiana gardeners!

James

• sebastian
    18 years ago

NE LA - Oak Grove.

Barbie

• sultry_jasmine_nights (Florida-9a-ish)
    18 years ago

Near SE Vermilion Parish
    ~SJN

• howlovely
    16 years ago

I am in Lafayette. I do permaculture gardening. Actually it's my first year at it and I'm very excited about NOT having to use a tiller. I'll be making raised beds with permaculture very soon. I am trying to see how self sufficient I can be on a tiny piece of land in town.

• PRO
    Beau Monde Landscape LLC
    7 years ago

I'm in Lafayette, Louisiana! Please follow us! http://www.beaumondelandscape.com

• nnjwilkerson
    7 years ago

Hello, I had some extra time tonight and found this forum. I am in Northeast Louisiana, east of Monroe. I have a huge garden but I hurt my back a couple of years ago and I dont get to work or piddle in the garden like I used to. We have been remodeling our kitchen, living room and dinning room so I have been reading the forums on remodeling, appliances ect for almost a year to get ready for this. We have hard pan clay here so we had all raised beds. If you have found a way to keep raised beds that is not labor intensive I would love to know about it.

Sponsored