Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jimtnc

Gardenias ... yellow leaves ( ad nauseum )

jimtnc
17 years ago

I put down the cornmeal, and have applied the Epsom salts. How long should I wait for the next treatment...acid fertilizer or chelated iron?!?

I just transplanted 4 weeks ago from an afternoon sun location to a part-shaded area, so before I'm chastised about transplant shock...I'm already aware but I was having problems prior to the move (probably the full sun thing), which is what spurned the transplant on.

Anyway, I'm not a gardener, per se, and I'm new to Gardenias (but have heard all the horror stories), but since I've been reading about all these home remedies I thought I'd give these tips a try. Since they're newly transplanted I haven't fertilized, but when should they be?

Comments (9)

• flowermum
    17 years ago

I have two gardenias and when I notice them yellowing I sprinkle some of the Bayer's Azalea, Camellia & Rhododendron Fast Acting pellets onto them. I just sprinkle around the drip line and water, and this vanquishes any yellowing within two or three days.

I also use this for my vincas when they start yellowing.

I apply this whenever I see them yellowing; I assume my soil is void of the nutrients it needs and I use it on an as-needed-basis.

I hope this was helpful
    : )

• jimtnc
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Okay flowermum, I'll try that. Thanks.

• jimtnc
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Thanks scandia. I didn't know if I could expect the yellowing to continue because of transplant shock, or other causes. The yellowing seems to be subsiding and there's a lot of new growth up top, so maybe this is gonna work.

Will that Miracle Grow Evergreen work for Camillias, etc too? I'd like to get something that works for several plants, if possible. If not, no big deal.

Can I expect the Gardenias to not bloom this year, and possibly next because of transplanting?

• the_virginian
    17 years ago

Is Miracle Gro Miracid the same stuff? It says it is for evergreens. I have some yellowing leaves on the lower parts of my gardenia. What else could help?

• jimtnc
    Original Author
    17 years ago

I bought some 8-10-8 that said Rhodo's, Azaleas and something else. All the major suppliers have their version of this type of mix and labeled fairly similar.

Anyway, I sprinkled a little around the dripline about 2 weeks ago and there are blooms everywhere...on all three Gardenias. So, skip my last question. :)

• gardnpondr
    17 years ago

I use ironite on mine when they start turning yellow and they get soooooooo pretty and dark green. Mine are large bushes now. In fact I just bought some to put on them the other day because they are yallow again. I have to do it quite often. I buy the liquid kind and mix it with water.

• jimtnc
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Heard so many bad things about Ironite I'm kinda nervous about using it. Anyway, my Gardenias have sprung to life and are blooming all over the place. Of course, the rain we're getting is helping a great deal.

• ogg802739_yahood_com
    13 years ago

i had 3 plants and over the winter 2 plants died I have 1 plant left what would u do the leavesjust dryed up and the branches dryed ang died

Sponsored
Peabody Landscape Group
Average rating: 3.5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Franklin County's Reliable Landscape Design & Contracting