Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
msjacki

Rooting Lantana?

msjacki
20 years ago

I've had success rooting many things, but not sure about Lantana. I just got several plants and I think I will really enjoy them. I've read that they can be rooted from stem cuttings. Do I root in water or should I root the same way I do mini roses (in ziplock bags)

Also, when I take stem cuttings, should i cut the flowers off?

Comments (44)

• PeaBee4
    20 years ago

Just bend a piece over and put some dirt over it. Leave the growing tip exposed. They root very, very easily. After the piece is well rooted, cut it from the parent plant.

I wouldn't waste time taking cuttings.

• msjacki
    Original Author
    20 years ago

Thanks! I will do that with the ones in the ground, but I also have one in a hanging basket.....will it root in water?

• vickishome
    20 years ago

Here's an old GW thread that might help you with the cuttings.

Here is a link that might be useful: Google cache of old GW thread - Propagating Lantana

• daylilydayzed
    20 years ago

Lantana is not welcome in my yard, I find is odor very stinky. Every bird planted seedling Lantana I find in my yard gets pulled up immediately and my hands get washed immediately after disposing of the unwanted plant.

• msjacki
    Original Author
    20 years ago

AWWWWWWW.....daylilydazed such a pity you feel that way, they have such lovely little flowers! Yes, some varieties produce a order if disturbed, but it doesnt bother me, mine won't be planted near the walkway to my house, so they should remain undisturbed. I just find them a great little colorful shrub.

Isnt it funny how we all have different likes and dislikes? I was at a friends house recently, and planted along her entire patio were roses......the smell almost made me ill!! LOL (just too many different scents i think)

.....that's what makes the world go round.....different strokes!!

• msjacki
    Original Author
    20 years ago

Thanks Vickishome! That was just what i needed!

Jacki

• LoraxDave
    20 years ago

I think Lantanas are an invasive pest in Florida (where freezes are rare), whereas up here they are very popular annuals or dieback perennials.

• lakeman
    20 years ago

I love the lantanas, we try to get all of the perrenial lantanas we can, as we want them coming back year after year. We avoid the annuals, should we? (what I mean is will they come back next year?

• tsmith2579
    20 years ago

I've found this to be an almost fullproof way to root lantana. From between the main stem and the leaves you will find suckers (2 inches) sprouting. Use a very sharp know and carefully remove the sucker WITH a part of the main stem bark. You don't need to cut through, just sort of scrape off a little bark when you remove the sucker. Remove any large leves from teh sucker. Plant immediately in a small pot of sand, Keep moist, not wet. Use rooting powder if you wish. Place in the shade. In about 3 weeks you will have enough roots to tranplant.

• msjacki
    Original Author
    20 years ago

Thanks to all for your suggestions......i am trying a combinatin of all to see which will work best for me! Hopefully I'll have tons to share next spring!

• steveandjoy
    20 years ago

Hello,

I want to know if Lantana and sage are the same thing. Over here in Barbados, our nurseries sell a plant that they call sage which I swear is Lantana. Can anyone post a picture or two. I bought some today - multicoloured ones - and am hoping that they do well.

Joy

• Theresa24 (NeFL9a)
    20 years ago

I love the bicolored. But EVERYONE here just buys the gold ones. I hate that they are overused that way because it is SUCH a tough plant here (dies back but always seems to return) - I didn't know there were annual and perennial. I thought they were all tender perennials.

• sunny43
    20 years ago

To show you how easy it is I just cut off some above the nodes and stuck them in the ground. They sprouted and are on the way to becoming nice plants.

• patsy_b
    20 years ago

Last summer one of orange/gold lantanas started to die. Looked really bad with all leaves wilted and some already dead. I took the best looking limb, put it in potting soil, covered with plastic and forgot it. When I checked it later I was surprised to find it was growing. I set it out in the garden and when it bloomed it was no longer orange and yellow but the blooms were all orange. It was late in the season so I am anxious to see if it goes back to the original color or stays solid.

Patsy

• mimidi
    20 years ago

Theresa I don't like all the gold (yellow) that much either. Too much of a fall color. I really love the pastels and the butterflies do to.

• jasmynjade
    19 years ago

Someone just gave my mother a beautiful Lantana...multi colored...not a usual plant for Ohio...would this be an annual or perannial? I printed out some care directions for her....it said, plenty of sun...she says it does better on the porch where the sun isn't so hot...are their different varieties? One more question.....it's August right now..is this too late to propagate??

• envirocop
    19 years ago

Miss Huff Lantana, which has the butterfly magnet flowers starting off yellow then turning orange then red as they age, is the only one I've found to be perennial (barely) in Atlanta, zone 7. The rest seem to be annuals here, too tender. None, including Miss Huff, could survive a zone 5 winter.

• curdog007
    19 years ago

Joy-Lantana's and sage are definately not thesame.
    Lynn

• bfroberts
    19 years ago

In my experience, the creeping lantanas root fairly easily but that could be just because the creepers get a whole lot more stem to ground contact. Old varieties like Confetti must spew seeds like mad because under every old Confetti there's a gazillion babies (which I love to pull and plant elsewhere). Plus, I think the butterflies like the Confetti best of all, but it does have that odor. I've tried lots of different varieties in recent years and here in eastern NC, I've only had one that failed to show up the following year and it was a white varieity (don't recall the name). But that didn't stop me from buying another white one this year. I think they are all tender perennials, with some just being a bit more hardy than others. I've never known anyone around here to lose a Confetti. I have a beautiful lavender creeping lantana hanging basket that I found on the reduced cart at Lowes for $2. Best $2 I've ever spent. Has quadrupled in size at least. The tag said 'annual' but I know better cause I have the same one planted by my pond. I'm storing it in the garage this winter, just to eliminate having to take it out of the pot its in.

• flowernanny
    19 years ago

Hi Jacki,

I take cuttings with 2 nodes, cutting just below a node. Cut off the blooms and all leaves except 2 sets at the top. Dip the cutting in rooting powder and place in damp potting soil. I place a 2 liter drink bottle, with the bottom cut off and the cap off, over the cuttings. This creates a mini greenhouse that helps keep them moist. It may take about 2 weeks for them to root. You can very gently tug on them to tell if they have rooted.
    Dorris

• TexasCoon
    18 years ago

I love Garden Web! You guys are so much help! Lantana grows wild in SW Louisiana. I was on my way home from my Grandma's house the other day and I stopped and got cuttings from some pink(& yellow) and some Orange(& yellow) lantana that was growing on the side of the road next to a cow pasture. I wasnt very sure how to get it to root (I heard it was very easy, so I figured "free cuttings - why not try it!") They are looking kinda droopy, so I figured I'd see what I could find out here. You've all helped a lot! Thanks so much!

• creatrix
    18 years ago

I'm rooting about 75% just cutting them and sticking them in water. Seems to root best when I cut just above a node. I kept one overwinter in the house, and am rooting cuttings for garden plants this summer.

• katiecrosby
    18 years ago

I, too, love lantana. All my FL friends laugh at me and say that I love weeds. oh well, I don't mind!
    Anyhow, just wanted to say that I rooted a bunch of lantana cuttings last year and forgot about protecting them until way past the first frosts (and we got down to a rare 14 degrees here in the SC Lowcountry last December!). I was going to dump out the little pots and use them to start over when, to my surprise, over half of them decided to "wake up!" Now i am just waiting to see which colors survived so that I can plant them strategically. You can be sure I'll be rooting some more this year. I am delighted about this. I love lantana because it can handle the extreme heat and humidity around here. I don't have a favorite, but I use the gold sparingly because it has become so common in the Southeast. I collect as many new colors each year as I can. Miss Huff is by far the hardiest.
    BTW, my method of rooting was just to cut a stem with a couple of nodes and stick them in potting soil, then cover them with a cut off plastic drink bottle (small). It didn't take them long to root, maybe 2 or 3 weeks at most.
    Happy lantana-ing, yall!
    K

• ladenblowfish2
    15 years ago

hi i have a few lantanas a red spread and gold and a miss huff. i would like to root them also. how do i know if they are Old varieties like Confetti or the creeping lantanas like some of you have noted ? So if i did try to root some and put them in water they should root? Which would be the best? What is a node? I'm new at all this so anything will help. thanks shelly

• dshizgrow
    15 years ago

I'm new to this site, so I am not sure how it really works yet, and I am probably in the wrong forum. But anyway. This summer I got a lantana camera plant, and have potted it. I was wondering if the seed pods can be frozen until next year, and planted in the soil then. The pot is huge and cannot be brought inside for the winter. And also, if I leave it in the pot will it survive in there next year?

• Donna
    15 years ago

dshizgrow, you can certainly save seeds, but don't freeze them. Refrigerate them. You need to know that it's possible the seeds may or may not produce the same plant that you have (depending on whether it's a hybrid or not), but there are no bad lantanas that I know of.

• WOODSGRANNY
    15 years ago

i have a white bush type.it gets HUGE,cut to the ground last summer ,it's now about 5 ft. around and probably that tall.i tried to find a name,the only thing i found close was called "lighting".and that's how fast it grows,and i love it.i'm not fond of most i see.in louisiana the pink and yellow bloooms are like weeds,in ditches,along roadside everywhere.a friend of mine calls them "ham & eggs"

• sylviatexas1
    15 years ago

A node is similar to a joint (like a knee or elbow in a human being), where the stem is a little thicker.

I take cuttings, gently scrape off a little of the outer layer of the stem up to about 1" from the bottom of the cutting, & stick it in moist soil & keep it in light shade until it roots.

I love my lantana;
    it draws butterflies & hummingbirds, & it flowers even in our hot, dry summers.

• wally_1936
    15 years ago

Here in Texas some lantana are a weed, but like all things people love the blooms and work to imporve on what they love. The yellow variety here are dwarf and that is the reason they are so well liked in our area. We have to be careful of the wild variety as they will over take anything and their seeds spread so well. The birds like the berries that form around the seeds. They grow to well over 8 feet in height in many locations around the coastal area. Of course we have the same problem with trumpet vine and mustang grape vines, they will choke out trees with their wild growth.

• lanc
    15 years ago

Please tell me what I am doing wrong. I cannot root lantana. I put it in the soil, water it, keep it in the sun, and it dies about 3 weeks later. I hear it is pretty easy to root. Am I trying to hard or what? I take a cutting from another plant (white flower). The cutting is about 1 1/2 inches long.

Thanks

• albellha
    15 years ago

I have been growing Lantanas for the about 4 years. The first I bought was `Sonrise`, characterized by its erect and outwardly spreading plant habit; pubescent stems and leaves; floriferousness and lack of seed production; flowers that are golden yellow after opening and become various shades of orange to red, hot pink, and eventually purple during development; and tolerance to low temperatures.

My problem began after I bought some other Lantana's that were similar. I thought at the time it was the same. The grew to about 1/4 the size of the sterile 'sonrise', they produced seeds, they attracted hummingbirds and butterflies. But suddenly two years after I brought the last ones in my large plant, (which I love) started changing colors in certain part of the bush. Some stopped turning all the colors and just became white and pink, some became just orange. It has really upset me because this is a very, very special "Bush" Lantana. I believe it is too late to do anything now, but what if I wanted to purchase another sonrise? How do I keep this from happening?

Also, when I pull off a piece and it has little roots on it, how do I plant it and get it to grow. Or how do I root it. Will it be the same color as the original or will it be this messed up color.

• suky
    14 years ago

One of the nodes snapped off my lantana camara when the plant fell off its table in the greenhouse. I removed the bottom leaves and flower, leaving the top four leaves.

I placed it in a small volvic 500ml mineral water bottle with tap water in, covered the outside of the bottle with foil to keep the bottom dark, placed it in the kitchen window in partial shade.

The node rooted within a couple of weeks, and I've now transplanted into potting soil.

I'm an amateur gardener, and have owned Lantanas for a few months now, so anyone of you should be able to root them with success using this method.

• Donna
    14 years ago

lanc, you need to put your cuttings in the SHADE until you see that they are growing well. Give them time to develop a decent root system before planting them in the garden. I'd suggest you root them in four inch pots. When you see roots starting to come out the bottom of the pot, they're ready to go into the ground. Harden them off before planting in full sun. Also, you might want to start with a little longer cuttings. I like to put two nodes under ground and only one set of leaves above ground.

albellha, it sounds like your sonrise is making sports (spontaneous branches that produce different colors). If that's all it is, you should be able to just remove the branches from the plant that are not producing the blooms you want. It should be fine thereafter. This is the same way you handle variegated plants that throw out branches of leaves that are not variegated. Just cut them off at their point of origin.

• janet_ms
    14 years ago

I keep a pretty glass vase on my kitchen window sill and I'm always sticking stuff in it to see what will roo. I put two pieces of lantans in, one green wood and the other already brown and woody looking. It didn't do anything, but the green one had long roots in just a few weeks. I'm going to pot it over the winter and set it out next spring.

• jacqueline_delia_yahoo_com
    14 years ago

I found a beautiful new variety at the nursery this year called Dallas Red. Mostly red with some orange. I really like the color and when to buy more and they are gone. Thanks for the tips on rooting them. I want to make some more.

Here is a link that might be useful: Southern Post

• juicystems
    9 years ago

I live in FL (grew up here for the most part), but have lived other places too. And growing up I remember Lantana being considered a weed, but it sure had pretty flowers. And living other places (CA, Las Vegas), I grew to appreciate them even more. So upon returning to Tampa, I started digging them out of random places in my yard to pot up. I even bought a few gorgeous ones from local nurseries. Then I went to Portugal for a little trip this last February, and saw how they pruned them into beautiful bushes and hedges. They were so beautiful! So I've been pruning mine down to encourage bushiness, because they can look awfully leggy if you let them grow naturally. So far, I am encouraged with the results!

I'm posting a photo of a gorgeous hedge I saw in Portugal- my inspiration for cultivating them here!

• Carrie1961
    9 years ago

It helps if you fertilize the mother plant 4 days before you take cuttings.

I lost my Samanyha lantana due to the freeze this winter. So sad, you rarely see it in garden centers anymore. Sigh...

• Colleen_55
    9 years ago

I live in the Midwest so Lantana will not over winter here. Does anyone have suggestions for keeping the plants alive inside? I don't have a great sunny window for winter but I do have indirect sunlight.

I have two lantanas--one trailing and one upright that I would love to keep going. I think the trailing one is a Bandana but I've misplaced its info.

• Colleen_55
    9 years ago

I live in the Midwest so Lantana will not over winter here. Does anyone have suggestions for keeping the plants alive inside? I don't have a great sunny window for winter but I do have indirect sunlight.

I have two lantanas--one trailing and one upright that I would love to keep going. I think the trailing one is a Bandana but I've misplaced its info.

• mrspai
    8 years ago

I love to read all the postings with this group. I love my lantana, (live in SE Alabama) and the summers are brutal here. Lantana loves the hot weather, and when it gets leggy, I just whack it back and it grows back greener and fuller. Thanks for all the wonderful hints.

• zzackey
    8 years ago

steveandjoy, lantana and sage are two different plants. One is a perennial or annual flowering plant and sage is an herb that is perennial.

• rhizo_1 (North AL) zone 7
    8 years ago

Zackey, though Joy posted her question over twelve years ago I'll jump in and correct your answer to her. ;-)

In her location, sage IS one of the accepted common names for Lantana. It would be called wild sage or red sage.

Thank goodness for Latin nomenclature, right? Common names can vary a great deal from one part of the world to the other.

• ckvar
    7 years ago
    last modified: 7 years ago

In my area, the Florida Keys, there is a native plant called wild sage, Latin name Lantana involucrata. In response to steveandjoy(z10 BGI) from Barbados, since many of our Keys "natives" actually came from the islands, it's probably the same thing and would explain his confusion about sage and lantana being the same. The leaves of Lantana Involucrata look very similar to edible/herb sage. Most people posting, though, are probably talking about Lantana Camera. There are many varieties, some being invasive in our area, some not, depending upon if they produce seeds. If you are in a non-frost area, please don't plant a Lantana Camera that seeds. It is considered a Category I Invasive (the worst). Look for the "non-invasive" or "seedless" type. Birds and butterflies love it, but it is a fast grower, so trim it occasionally to keep it in check. I actually like the scent!

Sponsored
Franklin County's Remodeling & Handyman Services