Return to the Southern Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Need help planning my front bed

Posted by bocron z7a GA (My Page) on
Wed, May 7, 08 at 8:53

I have been trying to come up with a plan for the bed directly in front of my house. I ripped out the foundation plantings about 3 years ago since they were all leggy and tipping over trying to get some sunlight. The bed is about 9 feet deep and 20 feet wide and is a half oval shape. The three feet closest to the house is total shade since it is the north side of the house the remaining 5-6 feet starts the day in shade and ends up in sun by noon or so. I have a couple of ferns that are planted that my husband really likes so would like to keep them, the creeping jenny can stay or go, but I get tons of compliments on it.
Here's a pic of the whole front to get an idea of the scale, the area in question is to the left of the front stoop.
Photobucket

Closer pic, notice the shade line. Pic taken at about 1:30pm
Photobucket

View from front stoop,
Photobucket

Any ideas? I would like to keep low growing plants, maybe more hostas in pots? My other option would be to just put a seating area there, bench and table or something in and amongst the creeping jenny with potted plants around?

Thanks all,
Annette

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Need help planning my front bed

Oops,don't know if it matters, but I am in Alpharetta, GA (Milton) just north of Atlanta.
I posted this in the design forum and got some great suggestions, and they also recommended I post here.

Annette

o

This is a slow forum. Post in the Georgia forum.

o

Will do.
Thanks,
Annette

o

Love your home and the colors. Your beds look great too!

o

I would mix some Cast Iron Plant (Aspidistra) in with those ferns. It is the perfect height under those windows, is evergreen, and looks beautiful with ferns. Easy to grow in deep shade, too. You could also look for some purple leaved plants to mix in to the creeping Jenny. Maybe loropetalum, Purple Pixie (two feet by two feet). It is also evergreen. Your home is lovely.

o

just wanted to say I wonder if anyone other than a southerner would know the word 'stoop.' love it. haven't heard that word in a while. in new orleans everyone had a front stoop.
i also love your green shutters and hardware, looks like what i had in louisiana, built custom from cypress.
your house is lovely. i think daylillies would look great there and maybe some sage. even herbs. if it gets georgia sun after 12 noon, i think that is plenty sun. carpet roses. you would need a contrasting color from the yellow so i think red roses or lillies or purple sage. you can keep the pretty ferns and put the other flowers in clumps so as not to totally obstruct the background. a bench would also be nice. mexican heather is pretty too and low growing, with small purple flowers. we grew in louisiana and mom grows on gulf coast but not sure it would be perennial in atlanta area.
your place is gorgeous.
laurie

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Southern Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here