Return to the Southern Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Using bushes/shrubs/trees as a fence

Posted by just123me (My Page) on
Fri, May 26, 06 at 9:12

I have Leyland cypresses in back of backyard that work great and some type tall bush/shrub on the other side, but the other side of yard in back has no type fence/barrier for privacy and the house next door is in full view and close...absolutely no privacy and it's right there.
My yard is landscaped really nice and natural looking (thanks to previous owners), but I'd like some creative ideas to get privacy on other side. I was considering a fence all around, but decided against it and how it might take away from yard. Are there any creative ideas I could have for just putting a fence on one side? ...or should I just stick with a tall tree/shrub for privacy?

If so what is a fast growing thick bush/tree that might work good?

Thanks!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Using bushes/shrubs/trees as a fence

If the rest of your yard is naturalized, I wouldn't go with a straight line of one variety of shrubs. Much will depend, of course on the amount of sun and moisture in the area, but you might try staggering things like hollies, small conifers, small upright crepe myrtles, a tall ornamental grass. One of my favorites is wax myrtle. They can be kept bushy or trimmed up to make small trees with or without lower shade-loving plants under them. If you use a variety of plants it's easier to fill in when [note: I didn't say if ;-)] one dies. A variety looks more natural and will attract more wildlife. If you have a long border to cover, avoid a hodge-podge look by using several of some things and by considering sizes and heights. With careful placement it can add to your natural look.

o
RE: Using bushes/shrubs/trees as a fence

Thanks catbird, that's kind of the way I'm thinking. Thanks again.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Southern Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here