Return to the Southern Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Okra in Flowerbeds

Posted by geotect 7bNC (My Page) on
Fri, May 25, 07 at 10:02

I'm going to try some 'Burgundy' Okra in the flowerbed by my mailbox this summer and wondered if anyone has advice on growing okra as an ornamental. How long will the plants last? I know I must harvest continually to keep the plant producing, but since the pods are very ornamental I want to leave them on as long as possible. What's the maximum length I should let the pods grow? I know some commercial growers cut the plants completely back when yields drop and let them grow again. I'm toying with the idea of cutting every other one back when they're young to have alternating plants in the same stand. Is that getting way too complicated?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Okra in Flowerbeds

Is that a strictly ornamental variety or can you eat it too? If you can cut it for food, you would want to cut it when the tips are still bendable. Your idea of just cutting a few sounds good to me. I didn't know that would keep them bearing.

o
RE: Okra in Flowerbeds

for my okra that we eat, we pick every other day to every 3rd day, depending on how well they are producing. any longer than that and the pods are too hard to eat. i had okra from May-October last year. As a matter of a fact, my plants now have several pods that will be ready for picking today or tomorrow at the latest.

yes, picking the pods will encourage new blooms. if you want it purely for looks, then pick maybe half the pods at a time. just enough to keep both pods and blooms on it at all times.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Southern Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here