Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
scandia_gw

Q re Vine With Orange Trumpet Flowers

scandia
17 years ago

I have a vine growing on a Poplar (aka Tulip Treee) in my front yard. The vine appears to be wild and native to the South. It grows a pretty Orange colored trumpet shaped flower.

**Does anyone know what the name of this vine is??

I did get a few seed pods off this vine this year and am plotting on planting them near the bases of some of my other trees. Does anyone have an opinion and/or advice about this?? Is this plant hard to control??

Comments (7)

• Iris GW
    17 years ago

If the leaf of the plant is pinnate (many leaflets), it could be Trumpet Creeper (campsis radicans is the name). If the leaves are whole, it could be Crossvine (Bignonia capreolata).

Here is a link that might be useful: Bignonia capreolata

• scandia
    Original Author
    17 years ago

It is the Campsis Radicans...THANK YOU!!!!

I think they are glorious. I finally killed all the Poison Ivy that was growing around them. I have been mulching them and feeding them.

Here are some pictures. (no blooms yet)
    {{gwi:1261102}}

{{gwi:1261105}}

Seeds and Pods.

{{gwi:1261106}}

Here is a link that might be useful: Trumpet Creeper

• Annie
    17 years ago

They grow like crazy, send out runners and grow from their seeds. I have seen them grow up onto power lines and completely engulf fence rows & old houses. Beware.
    They are commonly called Trumpet Vine elsewhere and some seed companies sell them as Hummingbird Vine. They definitely attract 'hummers' and really are beautiful.
    I have two and two in pots to give away if anyway wants them, come by and get'em!

• scandia
    Original Author
    17 years ago

I do keep them under control by pulling out new vines. I want to plant some around a few mature trees in my back yard. I just turned a 60ft by 12ft wild area into a flower garden, there are 4 mature trees in this garden and I want the trumpet creeper growing on them. I will TRY to keep them trimmed so they do not take over the trees.

Can the Trumpet Creeper kill a tree? Does anybody know.

I will keep them away from my house.

• lindakimy
    17 years ago

You want to be a little careful if this is the plant called "cow itch vine". My dh got into one last year and he was miserable for weeks! Red weeping rashes all over where it touched him! NOT GOOD!

• catbird
    17 years ago

Our neighbor has them (along with English and poison ivy, Virginia creeper, and no telling what else) in his wooded patch behind our yard. They aren't quite as rampant as some of the other things, but they can eat trees, pop up everywhere, and leap from treetop to treetop. Beware!

• scandia
    Original Author
    17 years ago

I have Trumpet Creeper. That plant has been there since I moved here. 7 years and counting. The base of the vine is 4 inches thick. I pull out any extra vines as they sprout. I have been mulching it and feeding it for the last 2 years. It is not strangling the tree. Maybe that is because the soil is rocky and the tree roots are GIGANTIC; it can only grow so big, not sure...The tree it is growing on is near the street and power lines....So the power company has trimmed all its branches off one side..I hate it when they do that...The tree is over 100 ft tall and HUGE at the base. I do see that a new plant is growing like crazy up the nearby utility pole now. It is on my neighbors property. My neighbor NEVER takes care of that area. So it will probably take over the pole if the utility company does not cut it back or pull it out.

Sponsored
Winks Remodeling & Handyman Services
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars1 Review
Custom Craftsmanship & Construction Solutions in Franklin County