Return to the Southern Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Adios Pansies

Posted by wac2wav none (My Page) on
Wed, May 22, 13 at 10:07

I planted hundreds of pansies last fall. They are now succumbing to the heat/humidity. If I clip them level with the ground will the root ball die out or do I have to pull up the whole plant?? Thanks!!!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Adios Pansies

Not sure I understand your goal? Are you trying to make sure they are killed sooner?

o

You didn't post your location or zone but yes, pansies will die out this time year anywhere it is getting very hot and humid. The entire plant, including the roots, will die. You don't need to do any clipping at all. They will die on their own.

o

Afraid that you need to yank all of those pansies if you live in a warmer climate. In the south, you need to plan early to replace the pansies before you really want to, or the supplies of nice summer annuals will be gone.

o

Hi everyone, are there any varieties of pansies that tolerate heat and tropical conditions ?

o

No. There are some that are slightly more heat tolerant than others, but they all have serious problems with heat. In warm climates, they can be grown in the winter time, as long as there is a winter.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Southern Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here