Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
michal_ms

Iris bulbs for bog garden

michal_ms
19 years ago

I live in zone 7, North MS I want to buy some reasonably priced, very good iris bulbs for my new bog garden. Please tell me what kind of Iris bulbs to buy and where to buy them. Thank you!!

Also, I have a spot near the bog garden for a small tree / shrub (preferably one that will attract birds!) The spot gets part-shade, some noon sun, I'm afraid, and is moist, poorly drained soil. Not more than 12 to 15 ft. high, don't care how wide. Clay soil here in MS.

Thank you so much. Would be thrilled with any other bog gardening tips (what you learned from your mistakes!).

Michal

Comments (8)

• creatrix
    19 years ago

Aronia arbutifolia 'Brilliantissima' comes to mind for the shrub- Red Choleberry. It's a cultivar of a native wetland plant. The straight species will get taller. Both will sucker and get pretty wide. Deciduous hollies and Arrowwood Viburnum (V. dentatum) will also work, however these need companion shrubs- hollies come male and female,and viburnums set fruit better with another related, but not the same, viburnum in the area. The companion plants have to bloom at the same time for it to work.

Siberian iris and Louisana iris will both take boggy conditions. The Louisana can be rather vigorous and is hard to divide. Cardinal Flower - Lobelia - is another boggy plant that will attract hummingbirds.

Sorry, I can't help you with sources. These are all native species (except the Siberian), so maybe your local Native Plant Society will have some info for you. The plants are not particularly rare and hard to find. A local nursery may be willing to order them if they don't stock them.

• jim2k
    19 years ago

look around you someone there has some they will let you have or sometimes they grow along a country road it's late now to fimd them in stores sometimes wal-mart or H.D stores have them in the early spring. Good luck Jim

• Susan Garrison
    18 years ago

Yellow flag iris also does great in bog gardens. I have plenty if you want some. A great combination is yellow flag iris, Anne Chowning (red wine with yellow center) Louisiana iris, Imperial taro (a dwarf black elephant ear names Illustris) and white pitcher plant. The two iris and the pitcher plant blooms at the same time in the spring. Then the pitcher plant grows new red-veined white pitchers at the same time that the black taro comes up and takes the show for the summer months.

• yggm
    17 years ago

Where is the best place to buy Louisiana Iris?

• lisa455
    17 years ago

Forestfarm has them online. Also, you can buy them at Lowes and Homedepot when they are in bloom (spring.) You can stick them in the ground in spring.

I live in Southeast Louisiana near bois d'arc farm. They sell individual plants that are beautiful. www.bois-darc.com The people who own it are very nice and might be willing to ship to you now since you are in the warm part of the country. You could give them a call.

Beware that the yellow flag iris (pseudocarus) is extremely aggressive and will crowd out the other colors and kill them. The yellow flag iris seed everywhere. A small clump will be several feet in diameter in a few years and will keep growing. The next most prolific is the blue flag iris. These spread well also but cannot compete with the yellow flag. I am sorry I don't have extra because I recently moved and do not have any extra as I left huge clumps at my old house.

• dmj1218
    17 years ago

I think one of the best places to buy Louisiana Iris is from the Hybridizer Patrick O'Connor--I have been pleased with his plants. He starts taking orders in the spring.

Here is a link that might be useful: Zydeco Iris Gardens in New Orleans

• sugarhill
    17 years ago

Florida anise would be a great little tree in a boggy area. Here's a link.

Here is a link that might be useful: Florida Anise

• dottie_in_charlotte
    17 years ago

Love anise, all varieties because they are completely ignored by browsing deer and tolerate being under water after hard rains.

Sponsored